IH AWOL?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IH AWOL?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default IH AWOL?

Anyone heard from IH in the past few weeks?

I pre-paid for a CNC upgrade for my IH mill back in mid-October and was told they were running 6 weeks behind, so I assumed 8 weeks later (because I know how I operate :-) would be the delivery date.

Since then I've emailed/phoned IH a few times trying to find out the status of my order and more details about support gear (which serial/parallel card, NEMA enclosure, etc) I'd have to buy before doing the install.

I've gotten zero response, and that makes me a little nervous.

On a mailing list I follow, someone said Tommy's dad passed away, but I haven't seen any sort of web posting or email saying, "family crisis, I'm way behind, sorry". Nor is there an auto-responder at their email saying, "we'll get back to you, sorry for the delay".

As of now I'm $4500 down and behind on some jobs and not sure if I should call my credit card company or if I should cool my jets because there will be a box from UPS on my porch tomorrow in the morning.

Thoughts?

thx,

--jet

Downloads
    Uploads

Tommy and gene are stand up guys. they maybe behind but they won't forget you. Gene did pass away not to long ago and i'm sure tommy is having a heck of a time finding someone to help or at least get out what he's got on the books. yeah it sucks waiting for stuff but be patient. if you want you can post your questions here alot of guys built a kit and would be more than willing to help with your questions. in terms of BOB forget it. and the nema enclosure i used was 24x36x12 and it houses my computer inside as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

>yeah it sucks waiting for stuff but be patient.

So how much longer should I wait? Six months? A year? I've heard nothing since they charged my credit card, and that's with my emailing/phoning them multiple times to find out what's up.

This is a CNC kit, not a new mill from overseas. In theory they crank these puppies out using COTS gear and stock materials.

It's three months after they charged my card for $4500 and I haven't heard a single word other than the original invoice I received. Forget actual delivery of goods, I've not even gotten a response to emails/phone calls asking about status or the prep work I need to do for an install. Even a "sorry, we're behind, would you like us to refund your money?" email or a "the **** hit the fan, we're sorry, we're really behind and we're not sure what the schedule is like right now, but we'll let you know week-by-week what the schedule is." email would be fine.

"Stand-up guys" don't charge you full price up front, promise a delivery date, then ignore you. If I did this with one of my customers I'd probably be in small claims right now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would be calling my credit card company. If one of them died and especially if he was the one who ran the books , then that would spell trouble for IH. And yeah over 3 months is a joke!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a similar experience with them, but in the end I am happy. I am also currently waiting on the return of my limit switches. It has been quite some time now, but I know in the end they will be right. It's just a little scary running the mill without any limits. Not to mention dangerous.

Unless you have an immediate need, I would wait it out. Loosing a family member is going to take a little time to recover. Jumping ship when a company is having difficulties can only worsen the situation. If you believe IH is a good product and would like to see them around for years to come, stay aboard.

FWIW- I did speak to Tommy about a week ago. It took a little phone tag and patience.

--Larry
    www.caseydesignproducts.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the same boat. Ordered second week of October. Talked to Tommy a couple of times since and was told things would start shipping the same week we spoke. Never happened!

Talked to the gal who answered the phone two weeks ago today and she asked Tommy when he was shipping and I got the answer the next week. Still nothing.

Hate to bug him, but man you got to talk to your customers and let them know what's up. It's 14 weeks now on an 8 week deal. May call again tomorrow and try to talk to Tommy, depends on how my work day goes .

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered a cnc mill, paid half down... the balance when shipped.

I didn't call or ask when it was going to be done (but I was in no hurry, had other things going on) and without bothering them I got a call and said it was done. Total time I think was 4 months... but they did tell me 12 weeks upon initial order... so it was resonable in my eyes

What I'm getting at here, IH isn't flaking on anyone... they are working hard to fill their orders... and everytime they answer the phone it takes them longer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would try to work with them. They have always been good to me when I needed them. I only have a manual mill but getting any parts that I need has left me feeling good about their company. I hated to hear about Gene. I always loved talking to him & he always made the time to converse with me when I called them at 1 in the morning. Outstanding gentleman & he will be missed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats terrible I would be pissed I dont care about any situations anyone has ( I am truely sorry for their losses that is one hard thing to go through.) But as far as buisness I believe nobody should be able to sell something they dont have ready to ship that is just bad and down right a terrible way to do buisness when I ordered my machine through a different company the first thing I asked was is this a product you have ready to ship right now? If not I would have hung up the phone. Good luck I have never herd of anyone having problems from IH and I know they would not turn bad ruining what their dad setup for them so sorry for your wait but it sounds like you already knew it was not on it's way. Like the company who should never sell what they dont have-the buyer should never pay for something that does not exist. Take it as a lesson. Please post when it arrives.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please help me out here, not that it is any of my business. However, I did talk to Tommy a couple weeks ago about a mill as I am interested in one of theirs. He didn't mention anything about Gene. Has this happened real recently? I think I read they were related. Were they brothers, father son or what. Just curious. Was it unexpected?

My father who was my best friend and business partner passed away a few years back very unexpectedly. Wow, was I overwhelmed as it was a very busy two man business. Luckily we had been talking with someone about buying us out prior to his death. I held down the fort for a couple weeks until I could complete the sale. It was hard times.

I wish Tommy all the best and hope all this gets resolved amicably.

Good Luck to all.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by csaw View Post
    Please help me out here, not that it is any of my business. However, I did talk to Tommy a couple weeks ago about a mill as I am interested in one of theirs. He didn't mention anything about Gene. Has this happened real recently? I think I read they were related. Were they brothers, father son or what. Just curious. Was it unexpected?

My father who was my best friend and business partner passed away a few years back very unexpectedly. Wow, was I overwhelmed as it was a very busy two man business. Luckily we had been talking with someone about buying us out prior to his death. I held down the fort for a couple weeks until I could complete the sale. It was hard times.

I wish Tommy all the best and hope all this gets resolved amicably.

Good Luck to all.
    It is not really appropriate I think to make this private thing so public.
    The short of it is Gene is Tommy's father and he did pass very recently.
    Tommy is and always was, since the purchase, IH ! Gene was the sole of IH and now this is also Tommy's new position.
    I know he is going to be a strong influence and IH is going to be strongly influenced !
    Gene called me many times, of his own volition, and we gambled on who's phone batteries would fail ! I miss the calls.

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jetflatline View Post
    Anyone heard from IH in the past few weeks?

I pre-paid for a CNC upgrade for my IH mill back in mid-October and was told they were running 6 weeks behind, so I assumed 8 weeks later (because I know how I operate :-) would be the delivery date.

Since then I've emailed/phoned IH a few times trying to find out the status of my order and more details about support gear (which serial/parallel card, NEMA enclosure, etc) I'd have to buy before doing the install.

I've gotten zero response, and that makes me a little nervous.

On a mailing list I follow, someone said Tommy's dad passed away, but I haven't seen any sort of web posting or email saying, "family crisis, I'm way behind, sorry". Nor is there an auto-responder at their email saying, "we'll get back to you, sorry for the delay".

As of now I'm $4500 down and behind on some jobs and not sure if I should call my credit card company or if I should cool my jets because there will be a box from UPS on my porch tomorrow in the morning.

Thoughts?

thx,

--jet
    Have you herd from them yet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Kit is finally coming in.

To all who are pissed and angry or anxiously anticipating their kit.

Sept. 27, 2009 marks the day when I shelled out the $4650 for my kit. I was told that it would be 6-8 weeks on delivery and at that time I was also told about Gene passing away. What a kind individual to do business with and I still smile a bit when i watch the video posts on their website and hear his voice. He always made time to chat as long as needed and he will be well missed. Due to Gene passing, it was expected that there would be a delay. I like many others was told 6-8 weeks and this grew over time without a phone call. It's my hope that Tommy will put together a business model that expedites delivery on all orders made, in light of his loss I believe that his company has potential to do great things. It's a bit scary having that much money out and not hearing from anyone on it. It's even scarrier I'm sure if your phone calls aren't returned, I can't speak from experience as all mine were returned and some in record time. I have started to take possession of my equipment as of yesterday 1/25/2010. I have to say that it looks like something out of West Coast Choppers. The powder coating is beautiful and though he order is not complete yet, I'd expect that all other components will have been done with the same attention to detail and fine workmanship. The only problem I've seen is the silence in kit progress and expedience in which one recieves it. If you're in a hurry, I don't know what to tell you. If you have made the investment and are scared, I would have to say don't be. Although it is a timely indeavour, the outcome leaves one feeling that their money was well spent. I shoud receive my ballscrews, ball nuts, and electronics by mid week and will update you all as I know more.

As for Tommy, he has always been friendly and just as willing as his father to help me out. In light of his recent loss, give him a chance as he barely had an opportunity to mourn his loss before having to take the driver seat of his company. My father is very dear to me and I can't even imagine what he's going through.

As for not getting a returned phone call, the loudest wheel gets the grease and if you as a wheel threaten to fall off, there's a good chance you'll get looked at. Call once a day and if that doesn't get it, once an hour. You having spent $4650 for the kit and shipping have every right to demand contact. It's still your money until you recieved the goods you set out for.

Regards,,,,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JTKELLEY View Post
    Please don't misread my post, I'm not pissed at IH. Not even mad at them and I got nothing but respect for Tommy and did as well for Gene. Just sharing my ongoing recent experience since the question was asked.

I did talk to Tommy yesterday morning and he's hoping to get mine shipped soon. Said he just finished loading a turn key mill in a customers trailer. And had just finished the parts for 10 NC kits (or nc mill builds). The parts were sent out for anodizing. So there is life there and machines are being built. I just hope that mine is at the top of the build list. Not selfish, just think my turn got to be coming.

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

The reason I would have guessed they would be up and running on time with orders is simple - I believe they have a good thing going and they know it, I have been asking for them to build a lathe for a while, not being able to wait any longer I went with a used 12x48 clausing I will have to turn cnc myself soon. I still want them to make one though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RustedOut View Post
    Said he just finished loading a turn key mill in a customers trailer.
    LMAO...that was me...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shev View Post
    LMAO...that was me...
    Tommy also said it was pouring rain...did you get wet?

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RustedOut View Post
    Tommy also said it was pouring rain...did you get wet?

Bob
    I got pretty wet...Tommy laid in a huge puddle to get under the trailer to tighten the bolts (we bolted the pallet right to the floor of the trailer) Then I drove 4 hours through the mountains in a monsoon...thankfully it quit and the rest of the drive was smooth sailing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JTKELLEY View Post

Sept. 27, 2009 marks the day when I shelled out the $4650 for my kit. I was told that it would be 6-8 weeks on delivery. [...] I have started to take possession of my equipment as of yesterday 1/25/2010.
    [...]
    So I guess I'll see mine in a couple of weeks since I ordered a couple weeks after you... I left a message with a human there today (didn't catch her name) so maybe I'll here something back soon.

If anyone sees the IH crew in person, maybe ask them to post something on their site or here saying that they're just way behind on work and didn't go off to the Bahamas with all our cash? :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Not AWOL

I visited their shop 2 weeks ago, and I have talked to Tommie a number of times since (last time today). When I visited they were making servo brackets on their IH production mill (with full flood cooling).

So they are definately on the job.

Chris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast