Mach3 virus warning

Thread: Mach3 virus warning

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 virus warning

I am new, just installed Mach3 on a brand new install of XP. I'm working on my mill conversion. Today my antivirus software, Vipre, detected a virus, Trueactive Monitor, in C:\Mach3\videoocx.ocx. Is this really a virus, or is it a false positive. I searched around and don't see anything about this anywhere. I didn't do anything about it, quarantine, it or anything.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

When running Mach3, running the antivirus software is a no-no. That is why I have my machine pc off of the network and internet,no wireless or anything to interfere with the pulse stream.

I think I have heard that this is a false positive, but don't take my word on it, lets see if anyone else has input.

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really? I almost can't believe Mach3 won't run on a somewhat modern computer with an antivirus program installed and not doing much. And being OFF my home network isn't a very nice sounding proposition. What are others doing? No AV? No network hooked up?

If so, Mach must not have run AT ALL a few years ago!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using AVG free Anti-Virus on my CNC Mach3 install. It is best to keep the CNC computer as free of other applications as possible.
    My system is connected to a network and Internet.

Wayne Hill

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thosj View Post
    Really? I almost can't believe Mach3 won't run on a somewhat modern computer with an antivirus program installed and not doing much. And being OFF my home network isn't a very nice sounding proposition. What are others doing? No AV? No network hooked up?

If so, Mach must not have run AT ALL a few years ago!!
    If you are using the pport, those were mach sugeestions, not mine.
    If you have a motion control card system, such as smooth stepper or dspmc/ip, then other rules may apply.

For the cost of a second hand computer, why take the risk of a part coming out wrong because you have antivirus software running.

It is not hardware related, it is software related because mach3 does some wild things with its driver to be able to do what it does, and then certain programs like antivirus or quick time jump in and steal the processor time and cause lost steps.

My first computer was hooked up to the internet and had antivirus running and it ran well, but then I was given a computer and have it dedicated to the machine, and I have it off of the network.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach3 is capable of sending 100,000 steps/sec to up to 6 motors at a time. That's 600,000 steps per second. If your AV software decides it want to steal some CPU cycles, it could easily cause Mach3 to hiccup.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I DO have a SmoothStepper, so I'm going to leave Vipre and leave the computer hooked to the network and see how it goes. I'm just getting all this set up, so time will tell, but I'll be alert to this as I progress.

Still no comments on this videoocx.ocx showing as a keylogger. I guess I'll ignore it for now and hope someone posts a comment on whether it's a false positive or not.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it 458, 752 bytes? Mine scans OK with Avira.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ger21. My recent issue is this. I use V Carve to generate g code for a part and do a dry run. Then because of scheduling differences I cut the part the next day , and the cut was not the same as it was when I generated it for the dry run. It went haywire on me. Could the fact that I have several Anti- Virus software runing, at the same time constantly ,be the reason the code changed, or lost some of its script lines? What do you think? I am very concerned about this issue. Basically there code seemed to have changed overnight. I may have to go to a system that's totally disconnected to any external stimuli such as the internet.

Downloads
    Uploads

I find it very hard to believe that the code has changed. To check it, copy and paste it somewhere ele, and rename it to oldcode or something like that. Then, when you think somethings changed, copy it where the other one was and compare the two. It should impossible for the code to be changing.

However, if you have AV software running, it could cause Mach3 to act up and do strange things. I'd recommend uninstalling any AV or spyware software from your machine control PC. You don't want ANY software running in the background.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

The PC that is running Mach is a machine controller. Keeping it off the internet keeps you from needing software to protect you from the bad guys. You won't need all the service packs and software updates that slow the computer down. Disable any serial ports, sound, and other unneeded devices, too.

The machine controller should receive files from computers that have all the software updates and other protection.

This is common practice for computers used to control machines, not just CNC.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by johnmac View Post
    The PC that is running Mach is a machine controller. Keeping it off the internet keeps you from needing software to protect you from the bad guys. You won't need all the service packs and software updates that slow the computer down. Disable any serial ports, sound, and other unneeded devices, too.

The machine controller should receive files from computers that have all the software updates and other protection.

This is common practice for computers used to control machines, not just CNC.

John
    Hi Johnmac,
    Well said.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Given the fact that the 'conflicker' worm/virus can hide on a USB thumb drive, how are you loading your programs on the machine controller PC?

Wayne Hill

Downloads
    Uploads

Files transfered to Mach should come from computers equipped with the necessary protection.

If you use a thumb drive rather than a network connection, buy one for that use only. It will double as a backup of your files, too.

John