Using a CPLD to replace a few CMOS gates - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Using a CPLD to replace a few CMOS gates

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by amplexus View Post
    Seriously there is at least one commercial portable x ray that uses this technology. It really does produce fusion neutrons and is almost pathetically simple just temperature cycle the crystal.
    Pyroelectric fusion refers to the technique of using pyroelectric crystals to generate high strength electrostatic fields to accelerate deuterium ions (tritium might also be used someday) into a metal hydride target also containing deuterium (or tritium) with sufficient kinetic energy to cause these ions to undergo nuclear fusion. The process of light ion acceleration using electrostatic fields and deuterium ions to produce fusion in solid deuterated targets was first demonstrated by Cockcroft and Walton in 1932 (see Cockroft-Walton generator). Indeed, the process is used today in thousands of miniaturized versions of their original accelerator, in the form of small sealed tube neutron generators, in the petroleum exploration industry.

The novel idea with the pyroelectric approach to fusion is in its application of the pyroelectric effect to generate the accelerating fields. This is done by heating the crystal from −30°C to +45°C over a period of a few minutes.

A UCLA team, headed by Brian Naranjo, conducted an experiment demonstrating the use of a pyroelectric power source for producing fusion on a laboratory bench top device in April 2005. The device used a lithium tantalate (LiTaO3) pyroelectric crystal to ionize deuterium atoms and accelerate the ions towards a stationary erbium dideuteride (ErD2) target. Around 1000 fusion reactions per second took place, each resulting in the production of an 820 keV helium-3 nucleus and a 2.45 MeV neutron. The team anticipated applications of the device as a neutron generator, or in microthrusters for space propulsion.

A team at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, led by Dr. Danon and his graduate student Jeffrey Geuther, has confirmed and improved upon these experiments using a device using two pyroelectric crystals and capable of operating at non-cryogenic temperatures.

Nuclear D-D fusion driven by pyroelectric crystals was proposed by Naranjo and Putterman in 2002. It was also discussed by Brownridge and Shafroth in 2004. The possibility of using pyroelectric crystals in a neutron production device (by D-D fusion) was first proposed in a conference paper by Geuther and Danon in 2004 and later in a publication discussing electron and ion acceleration by pyroelectric crystals. The key ingredient of using a tungsten needle to produce sufficient ion beam current for use with a pyroelectric crystal power supply was first proposed and demonstrated in the 2005 Nature paper although in a broader context tungsten emitter tips have been used as ion sources in other applications for many years.
    check out this link http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture03575.html
    Amplexus Ender
    (I was a physics geek before I discovered stepper motors)
    Amplexus,

What has this post got to do with this thread?????

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

it is in response to the following from Guru_Florida

I've soldered very fine pitch devices using the following technique with relative ease and faster than a thru hole IC. Flux is an important ingredient in this technique. Use flux to coat the PCB pads before placing the device and lining it up using tweezers and a magnifying glass. Solder pins at opposing ends and reverify alignment. Now solder the remaining pins with reckless abandon not worrying about bridging pins or excess solder. Now take solder wick, wet it with flux also, and essentially desolder the device. The wick will leave just the right amount of solder on the pins/pads but soak up the extra solder and any bridges. You're left with a clean professionally soldered IC. Clean the remaining flux with flux cleaner or russian vodka. (swig vodka to celebrate how easy it was. "Na zdarowie!")

If only there was an easy way to solder ball grid devices. I hear the converted toaster oven can work...but how do you know you got every pin, take it to your dentist and explain that you need to borrow his xray machine?

I'll put this out there: What cheap and easily available device could send enough xrays to develop some film so that we could put the BGA IC in between and see if our balls soldered or not?

it is potentially cheap, and a relatively simple working cold fusion generator is interesting.
    Amplexus

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, it had just been quite awhile since any post here and suddenly we are talking about xrays and fusion. It just threw me for a loop. I think I will pass on building a personal xray machine. I have a few too many projects already.

Alan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456