EMC2 and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thread: EMC2 and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default EMC2 and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

As soon as load the live CD and try to run an Axis simulation(or live machine for that fact) Linux totally locks up requiring a hard reset! Tkemc works fine, but I would prefer Axis(for obvious reasons).I have no problem with Dapper and EMC but due to the impending end of support for dapper I would prefer to upgrade! Anyone else had this issue?

I connected my machine to the net(no internet in the garage!) and downloaded EMC 2.2.8 and all of the linux updates thinking that may fix this but to no avail!

Thanks in advance,
    Pete

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you give more detail about the computer? cpu speed/type and video card type/driver etc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dude, its a Dell! (probably half my problems) its a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz(I think) on a Intel 845 chipset with 512meg ram, Rage 128 Video card. I ran 2.2.8 on Dapper with no issues at all, but on Hardy (should have been more specific earlier) it locks up about the time that the Axis display would present 5-10 seconds after the Axis Toolchanger dialog appears. I admit I'm pretty new to Ubuntu so this has been a good learning curve for me...

Downloads
    Uploads

email a message here for more/better help:

emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

That is strange behavior.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recently had a similar problem with with a Dell Optiplex GX240, P4, 512meg RAM, and the same video card. The computer would lock up at the splash screen when starting EMC2. Changing video cards (to an old generic GeForce based card) solved the problem. I was able to briefly get it to work with the ATI card by changing the driver, but couldn't figure out how to make the changes stick with reboots.

Regards
    HR

Downloads
    Uploads

There are some ATI driver issues in using the open source driver vs the ATI driver. I had to modify the X configuration file for my ATI board. Do a google search on ATI, Ubuntu, and 8.04 as there is quite a few pieces of info on fixing it.

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com