TinyCPLD

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TinyCPLD

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default TinyCPLD

I've started this thread to continue where it left off regarding a CPLD solution for problems encountered using the A3986 on the "New Allegro Bipolar Stepper Driver A3986" thread in this forum.

Mariss

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

(Moved from previous thread)
    ---------------------------------------
    "Mariss,
    Two questions :
    1. Regarding cpld firmware, do you plan to implement on it any kind of midband resonance compensation ?
    2. Following the thread topic : would you like to "coach" a team to develop an open source board (without any fancy characteristics) ? I mean that I would be more interested to make such a board rather than trying to sell kits.

Regards,
    Daniel
    ---------------------------------

1) No. (a) Other single-chip solutions don't offer it, (b) it would directly conflict with our commercial products. I'm looking at the CPLD solution to provide what other application specific ICs promise but don't quite deliver; an IC specifically designed (programmed) to provide a well behaved CNC-rated drive.

2) In essence that is already accomplished. The CPLD circuit design governs what the external support circuit has to look like. The bridge design is more open to a "roll your own" approach as is the STP/DIR interface (optos, no optos, etc.). Current set is the same as well; provide the circuit with a 0 to 3.3V range reference and you get 0A to 7A output current range.

Mariss

Downloads
    Uploads

To Mariss
    In your Tiny CPLD schematic, How 12V regulator work?

thanks you

Downloads
    Uploads

To Mariss

I see in xilinx XC2C32 was discont product

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default chopper alternative

Mariss,

In the previous A3986 thread you mentioned that chopper circuits were 70's tech. What is the alternative?

Last edited by joshua221; 12-12-2008 at 02:26 AM. Reason: no name

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tivoidethuong View Post
    To Mariss

I see in xilinx XC2C32 was discont product
    not the a version.

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Maris,
    I'm curious about the 1.8V led supply. The cpld is rated 2V max. I've seen LED's go as high as 2V, and the 1st three I looked up, specd 2.1 to 2.4V max. Is there a specific led your comfortable with that meets the 1.7 to 1.9V spec?

Last edited by pminmo; 12-12-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: refine question

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

LED voltage depends on color; green will be over 2V, infrared will be under 1.5V and GaAs red is 1.8V at 4mA in an 0603 package. The tempco is -2mV/C giving a 100C operating range from 1.7V to 1.9V. The CPLD consumes microamps at 5MHz so a shunt regulator is dandy.

Mariss

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

joshua221,

The PWM circuit I have presented.

Mariss

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

tivoidethuong,

The MOSFET is turned 'on' by the drain to gate resistor. As it turns on, the voltage rises until the 12V zener conducts. As it conducts, it begins to turn on the NPN. The collector of the NPN works by decreasing the MOSFET gate voltage and therefore the output voltage. Emitter degeneration is used to limit gain to keep the circuit stable, the 33 Ohm resistor in the source path is designed to burn open should the 12VDC load exceed 60mA. This protects the regulator against short-circuit damage.

Mariss

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 7A pwm bipolar Driver

Are we trying to hide the purpose of this device. The title of the thread means something only to those people who read the end of the A3986 thread. Also the function schematic and layout still exist on that thread with no pointers from here. Could we extend the title to indicate the purpose of the TinyCPLD. It might catch much more interest so we could indeed justify the programing of >100 of these devices. By the way how are we coming on a potential purchase date etc. I believe I have seen about 5 offers to purchase at least 10 of the devices with some expression that even more would be of interest.

Hubert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Think outside the box. The problem Mariss is addressing is to a whole slew of drive questions across several threads. One person asked if they could change some parts on the 250/251 and up the voltage and or amps. Another person asked if the 201s could be upped to 10 or 12 amps. Mariss is giving something valuable for just $5 (when bought by the 100 piece lot) This is the ability to take this device and make as high a power stepper driver as you care to get silly with.

Mariss is giving a a slightly dumbed down version of the brain that makes his drives so good. Mid band damping? You'll need mechanical dampers, but you get PWM, not chopper. Not a bad trade off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mariss can you give us what you plan for a the deliverable(s)? Maybe specifically:
    1. Design only ?
    2. Verilog source ?
    3. pcb layout ?
    4. built module ?

Will anything be items that can be purchased from Geckodrive?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe Mariss has answered most of this in earlier posts. No data on the contents of the cpld other than black box description of the ouput pins. We need to come to an agreement on the pin out of the Daughter card. The daughter card is what Mariss would provide as he needs it to properly program the cpld and it saves us the trouble of using the tiny smt devices. Garry smarbaga has provided us with his draft layout of the schematic that Marris originally provided. Whether Geckodrive will sell anything else I can't answer, except it would be doubtful as they already have a better product for sale. This is Mariss's offer of a device without the problems of the A3986 in a form approximately the size of a 16 pin dip.

I agree this is a very good deal. I just think the thread title doesn't express it. We need to a phrase such as for high pwr stepper driver or something that succinctly expresses the function of the tinyCPLD.

Hubert

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    tivoidethuong,

The MOSFET is turned 'on' by the drain to gate resistor. As it turns on, the voltage rises until the 12V zener conducts. As it conducts, it begins to turn on the NPN. The collector of the NPN works by decreasing the MOSFET gate voltage and therefore the output voltage. Emitter degeneration is used to limit gain to keep the circuit stable, the 33 Ohm resistor in the source path is designed to burn open should the 12VDC load exceed 60mA. This protects the regulator against short-circuit damage.

Mariss
    Thanks Mariss.

I look RFD3055 Mosfet, If 60V mosfet, Can it work at 80V? and NPN 2n222 same

Can i reduce 33 om resitor to 15ohm to get 120ma ?

thanks Mariss again

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

That regulator is a linear regulator that can have 80VDC as its input. That's 68VDC across the regulator. The drive consumes less than 20mA so that's 1.36 Watts heat in the regulator. 68V times 120mA is 8.2 Watts; that's more than the drive would dissipate with a 5.5A motor.

Mariss

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mariss

in your schematic And how to setting motor current ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm anxious to get the samples and test them.
    Meanwhile I started to play with a daughter board.

Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

hello all
    40 resistors, 20 caps, 10 ic's, a dozen q's, pcb etc.. etc....
    thats a lot of parts for a stepper controller.
    i would guess the parts cost per complete unit would be between
    $40 and $70 in single units.
    the good people at gecko (ie: Mariss Freimanis) have spent the time ($$$) in proving the
    system, thats worth alot.

i think a nice finished working board could be had for about $10.
    i have steppers but no stepper controller,
    maybe this is a good time for me to bight the bullet.

I have attached a schematic with part #'s on it and a unfinished
    pcb layout. the pcb is approx 4" x 3". I will finish the layout when i get pin designations and approval from Mariss F.
    I will get 50 ( or so) of these boards made (solder mask, silk screen etc..)for for sale and i would perhaps collect the all the parts for sale as well. ( if the interest is here and i think i can recoupe my investment, lol).

there is a lot of parts for this project (q'insulators, h-sinks and compound, nuts and bolts etc...).
    but if it works as proposed an investment will not be in vein.

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Samarbaga,

That layout looks like double sided PTH, For 3"X4" I think I can have these made here in India for about 2 US $ each and sent out by mail or something.

Will be glad to help.

Dev

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast