My new HF X2 mill -"cnc"version

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new HF X2 mill -"cnc"version

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My new HF X2 mill -"cnc"version

I received my new mill about 5wks ago and have been building a stand and adding some upgrades. (BTW, in my case, cnc means "crank n cuss")

The stand is an old Kennedy tool box. It was the right price, free. It needed a good cleaning, new paint, one replacement handle and new drawer liners. Made a top from scrap 2x4's and 3/4" plywood to give more height. Don't laugh too much at the color, it was what I had on hand.

The mill is mounted to a 1/2" scrap steel plate and a 9x7x6 angle plate was added to stiffen the Z axis. An air spring kit and a belt drive kit were added to improve performance.(LMS)

Spent most of yesterday tramming and mounting a 3"heavy Kurt clone vise.(LMS) Being a total newbie probably tripled the time involved, but I am very satisfied with the results.

Late last night I finally tried my hand at milling. Took a small piece of 3/8" scrap mild steel and took it down to 1/4" and milled a 1/8" through slot about 1" long. It only took about 20min to make the slot. Most amazing was the fact I didn't break anything with all those RPM's, chiploads, feed speeds, etc running around in my old brain!

Here are some pics.

Thanks for all the input and help.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by nc cooter; 05-06-2008 at 06:22 AM.
    Mike Broach

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work on this. I used my X2 for a couple years with the crank and cuss method.
    Looks nice and solid. I like the angle plate on the column. This is a known weak spot on the X2. Looks like you fixed it on yours.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LOL.
    I opened this post and began reading. When I got to part about the colour, I scrolled down to see and WOW... Yellow sure is bright
    I like the angle plate in the back. Where did you get that angle plate like that?
    My X2 is mounted on 3 layers of 3/4 inch MDF that I glued and screwed together to get me two and a quarter inches clearance to turn that Y axis handle.
    I like what you did. Effective simple and, need I say, bright...

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt...

Downloads
    Uploads

The angle plate came from ENCO. It was about $25.

Mike

Mike Broach

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a very nice looking and practical X2 milling station ncc! You have solved most of the X2 weaknesses. When you get tired of cnc and decide to go for CNC--It will be relatively easy to plug in a G540, some steppers and a computer and GO! The top drawer of the tool chest is perfect for the keyboard.

I incorporated a tool chest into my X3 work station. I also use one as a dual mini-lathe station. Did you leave the wheels on that tool chest? If so do you notice any undue motion during milling?

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nc cooter View Post
    The angle plate came from ENCO. It was about $25.

Mike
    Do you happen to remember which one you got from ENCO, there a few of them at http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=418-4330 and I like to get the one you got (with the slots in it.)

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Sweet it's on sale too! $20.99 vs $37.92
    9 X 7 X 6 ACCU-PLATE WEBBED END SLOTTED ANGLE PLATE

Downloads
    Uploads

Spaceballs, that's the one.

Crevice, I left the wheels on. My shop is small and all of my major work stations have wheels, ie:floor model drill press, table saw,horrizontal metal saw,grinder table. The mill is rock solid with all of the mass. Lot's of stuff stored in the old Kennedy.

Mike Broach

Downloads
    Uploads

nc-

have you tried to do any precise milling with the machine? if you have, what kind of tolerances are you getting from it?

-Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff, I haven't tried any precison work yet. Still just playing and learning.
    I am going to check the tram again this weekend, just to see how it's holding up.

Mike Broach

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Excellent. Gonna order one this week...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

free shipping code for Enco orders over $50 good till june 5th

FSAPR4

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DogWood View Post
    free shipping code for Enco orders over $50 good till june 5th

FSAPR4
    Thanks but Enco free shipping does not apply to Canada.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nc cooter View Post
    Jeff, I haven't tried any precison work yet. Still just playing and learning.
    I am going to check the tram again this weekend, just to see how it's holding up.
    i see. i have heard all sorts of nasty things about their accuracy, and i haven't got the type of money nor the space to go out and buy one and find out...

also, how throughly did you have to clean the machine before you used it?

-Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

I did have quite a bit of backlash on my X2, but if it's not cnc'ed, it really is a minor issue. It was plenty accturate to cut some small steel and aluminum parts. I only saw the column flex issue when I cut too deep anyway.

I actually used a power feed of sorts on mine. I just used an 18V cordless drill to turn the nuts on the handles. This kept my arms from getting any more Popeye like than they are already and made short work of some jobs.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I did have quite a bit of backlash on my X2, but if it's not cnc'ed, it really is a minor issue. It was plenty accturate to cut some small steel and aluminum parts. I only saw the column flex issue when I cut too deep anyway.

I actually used a power feed of sorts on mine. I just used an 18V cordless drill to turn the nuts on the handles. This kept my arms from getting any more Popeye like than they are already and made short work of some jobs.
    I like that idea of the cordless drill. I think I'll try that.
    I already use one with a one way bearing as a cheap starter for my radio controlled gas cars...
    When it comes to buying stuff for expensive hobbies, "Cheaper is Gooder"

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff, what kind of accuracy are you looking for? A lot of variables come into play with any machining ie. tooling,technique,material and the inherent accuracy of the machine. The weakest part of the mini mill is the Z axis stiffness.This can be greatly improved by various means. Lots of ways to skin this cat at a moderate cost. Backlash is something you can work with in manual milling. If you are looking for a mill that is ready to go right out of the box, you will have to spend a lot more $$$$.

Mike Broach

Downloads
    Uploads

Honestly, I don't know yet. I'm still doing my design. I am thinking it will have to be between 1/100th and 1/1000th, but again I still designing my robot. This what it looks like (http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showp...der/perpage/12).

It is 16mm around. The materials I am planning on working with are aluminum, UHMW, unistrut, and some steel.

In terms of technique, I have done a lot of woodworking, but I am still learning about metal working.

I was leaning more toward to an X3 or getting an X4+ from syil when they are available here in the US.

-Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think the X2 would suit your needs.

Mike Broach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast