Mil-Tec Insert tools?

Thread: Mil-Tec Insert tools?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mil-Tec Insert tools?

I've just stumbled across a line of indexable milling cutters called the "Freedom" style made by Mil-Tec.

Does anybody have any experience with these, I'm thinking about buying a set or two.

The bad part is that they don't have standard insert sizes/designations. Everything is their own design.

These look like they have some benefits;

Not real pricey.

There are all shapes and styles of mill holders.

Each holder can accept 3 shapes of inserts, Octagon, Round and Square.

For each of the three shapes, there are three Rake configurations, High shear positive, Normal Positive and Negative!

There are coated and uncoated inserts as well.

The items are sold by McMaster-Carr and Travers Tool Company. The manufacturer's website is www.miltecusa.com

Any comments please,

John

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The tools cut very freely, but the coated inserts run around $13.00 They often run specials where you get a free cutter if you buy 10 inserts for every inch of cutter you want. I would call them and ask about a special like that. The inserts are never discounted anyway.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davereagan View Post
    The tools cut very freely, but the coated inserts run around $13.00 They often run specials where you get a free cutter if you buy 10 inserts for every inch of cutter you want. I would call them and ask about a special like that. The inserts are never discounted anyway.

Dave
    Thanks for the response!

Ahhh.... the old razor blade trick, give away the handles/holders and make money on the blades. Actually doesn't seem like a bad idea.

$13.00 /8 = $1.63 per edge isn't bad at all in my book.

Do you buy direct from them or through a distributor?

Can you tell me a little about your experiences using the cutters? What do you cut, how do the inserts last? Any problems? Which inserts do you use? .... etc....

Thanks,

John

Downloads
    Uploads

John,
    Please email me and I can share a bunch of links and possibilities with you. I just shot a quick video clip of a 1" 4 flute APKT cutter running at 3000 rpm (quite reasonable) cutting 1018 Steel at .350" depth of cut and .007" per tooth (84 inches per minute). I can upload it and send you a link. I use a SEKN type face mill that is even more free cutting than the Octamill type and the inserts can be had cheaply on Ebay. I use a different endmill for finishing which uses SPU424 inserts and gives a beautiful finish. (Inserts can also be had cheaply on Ebay) I used to rip and finish with one face mill, but I was flipping inserts too often. What kind of machine do you have? What size face mill are you hoping to run? What material? Depth of cut, etc. My email is davereagan@hotmail.com

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Great Cutter.

I have used them for years. We are currently cutting 52rc dry and having very good results with these facemills. Biggest thing with these facemills is to run them dray on just about everything. They have negative/positive inserts that are great on stainless, cast, and other to tough machine materials.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using MilTec cutters exclusivly for about 4 years and have been very pleased .
    as stated above , they like to be run dry . Their Power Shear inserts are great for lower horsepower machines . I like the ability to use 8 side or 4 side inserts in the same body , though many other brands do the same thing .
    Found out it is about the same price for 8 sides , so its like getting an extra set of insers for free . I like the tialn (greay ) better than the Tin gold , for mild steel. I save all my square inserts that have worn tips , and reuse them to mill on the sides ( milling flats on round bars ) I am using a 3" freedom cutter in a 7 1/2 HP VMC /.060" doc @ 20ipm