Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid - Page 67

Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 175764656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1418

Thread: Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by YellowGT0 View Post
    Hi guys,

Well this is my first post and I read all 110 pages, wow heh.

I'm looking to build a CNC Machine for detailed metal work. So i'm wondering if this would be a good setup. I've seen a few people cutting aluminum but seems very slow. I don't know if another setup would be more suited to this kind of work? I would be cutting 3D into aluminum and copper, I would also be cutting 2D into some pretty thin steel. The aluminum and copper would be around .5 to .75in think and would have to bore into it about .25 and the steel would be pretty thin sheet metal.

P.S.
    Amazing machine Joe.
    For actual Machine work you really should use a Mill, not a cnc router, our cnc routers are for occasional aluminum work, but shouds like you are needing more.

Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    For actual Machine work you really should use a Mill, not a cnc router, our cnc routers are for occasional aluminum work, but shouds like you are needing more.
    I'm trying to do this.

Whats the difference when I look up CNC mill all I see is super high end CNC machines and looks like normal router based CNC machines.

Edit: Okay seems like Its just the router that would need to be changed. So I could still use the table right? I'm not a machinist, i'm a computer nerd, hehe.

Downloads
    Uploads

You will need a mill like the Sig or a grizzley and convert it to CNC It looks like your parts are small and this would be your best bet other than paying thousands of dollars. Here are a few examples for reference to get an idea.

CNC Conversion Plans for the Sieg X3 Small-Mill! Harbor Freight 8x12 and Sieg X2 Mini Mill, DRO, CNC Conversion Plans, Machining/Metalworking How-tos and Resources
    http://plsntcov.8m.com/grizzley.html

Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    You will need a mill like the Sig or a grizzley and convert it to CNC It looks like your parts are small and this would be your best bet other than paying thousands of dollars. Here are a few examples for reference to get an idea.

CNC Conversion Plans for the Sieg X3 Small-Mill! Harbor Freight 8x12 and Sieg X2 Mini Mill, DRO, CNC Conversion Plans, Machining/Metalworking How-tos and Resources
    http://plsntcov.8m.com/grizzley.html
    Sob hehh.

So it seems like I would need two machines 1 for the heatsinks and one for the sheet metal (bigger then 24 X 24)?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Metal machining

You may want to beef up the gantry a bit, I have some ideas I have been kicking around in my head. But by the time my ideas are applied you would have a totally different machine than the Joe 4x4.

Steven

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    You may want to beef up the gantry a bit, I have some ideas I have been kicking around in my head. But by the time my ideas are applied you would have a totally different machine than the Joe 4x4.

Steven
    Well I was picking the Joe CNC because after reading the thread it seems like it has amazing support. I don't know if I could build a CNC without some serious hand holding. So I don't know if I should attempt the harbor fright CNC conversion or not. I'll have to think about if I can really stand to loose that money if I fail :-P.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Copper is much harder than aluminum and steel much harder again. As Joe said you would need a purpose build mill for those materials and a mill with 24"x24" capacity is going to get quite pricey.

The hardness of these materials means there will be much more force transferred from the bit back to every part of the machine. Look at how mills for cutting iron and steel are built, getting up into that size range they weigh tons and it is not just because they are trying to get rid of some extra iron. That enormous stiffness is required to cut those materials.

I really dont mean to sound discouraging but as stated our machines are for cutting wood, aluminum, plastics, foam other softer materials. It would be possible to use it if you could engineer your parts to be made of these materials.

www.castcnc.com The aluminum casting kit for Joes 4 x 4 Hybrid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh man :-(. I guess I will have to build super light cases out of aluminum. You guys crushed all my hopes and dreams :-). CNC Mill it is. and I guess Joes CNC for sheet aluminum then. The sheets are pretty thin. But the Copper heat-sinks are not. Well thanks for the help guys. I'll have to go find a CNC Mill thread to bother heh.

Ugh, I just noticed in the main forum this is under wood working. Duh.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey everyone. The angle that is used on the Y gantry on Joe's with the v-groove bearings... Is that standard spec or do you grind it true?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The angle can be bought at your local hardware store - just get the parts that weren't used to pry the pallet jack out of a ditch. Make a backstop jig for your drill press to keep all the bolt-down holes at the same distance from the flange, and when you bolt it down, it will probably be straight enough.
    Many guys have made special grinding jigs to cut the edge to an exact 90° sharp edge (45° double-bevel) to fit the v-bearings, but making mine was a PITA that didn't work very well at all. I ended up just filing the edge by hand to smooth both sides to a 45° bevel about 0.050 wide, and called it good.
    My machine isn't finished and running yet, but the Y-carriages roll so smoothly, the next thing I did was bolt on some physical stops to the 8020 rails. Jumping the length of the rails to keep the gantry from rolling off the end of the rail was NOT my idea of fun.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sorry, stuttered on the mouse button.

Last edited by Dorsal; 11-03-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: double-post

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some people grind them some just wear them in with a breakin program, the hardened steel wheels will shape the angle iron quite nicely with a few hundred passes as long as they are good an snug.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    The angle can be bought at your local hardware store - just get the parts that weren't used to pry the pallet jack out of a ditch.
    Haha I know what you mean. Thanks for the replay. I know this maybe the wrong place to ask this but on Joe's website there is a picture in the galley of a machine named "kirk.jpg". I just love the idea of a 4 axis build. Not too sure if I will do that but anyone know if this machine build is documented here at the zone?

Also, any good leads on the v-groove bearings? VBX has them for $8-9/piece. Anyone find a better deal?

Last edited by JohnnyVegas; 11-04-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are lots of threads about a DIY 4-axis build, here, at Joe's, I just saw one today I'd never seen before over on the Vectric Forum. Vectric Forum • View topic - cheap indexer

That's a pretty good price for those V-bearings, and it's about typical. For the complete 4X4 Hybrid build with the 8-bearing mod., you'll need a total of twenty (20) of them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    There are lots of threads about a DIY 4-axis build, here, at Joe's, I just saw one today I'd never seen before over on the Vectric Forum. Vectric Forum • View topic - cheap indexer

That's a pretty good price for those V-bearings, and it's about typical. For the complete 4X4 Hybrid build with the 8-bearing mod., you'll need a total of twenty (20) of them.
    Great link. Before I commit close to $200 in bearings was just wondering if anyone had a better lead on them. Thanks. Seems pricey for one bearing. I'm sure there are a million topics on this all ready.

I really was hoping that "Kirk" table was in the forums somewhere. It really caught my eye.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    Great link. Before I commit close to $200 in bearings was just wondering if anyone had a better lead on them. Thanks. Seems pricey for one bearing. I'm sure there are a million topics on this all ready.

I really was hoping that "Kirk" table was in the forums somewhere. It really caught my eye.
    VXB have had the bearings down as low as $6 recently with free gift but as you have seen they are back up to $10 each. If you bide your time they might have another special on them.
    To be honest $10 a bearing is not that bad considering how easy the bearings are to used and how well they work. Work out the cost of a 6 foot long linear rail with bearings and I think you will be hard pressed to beat $25 to $35 each. (2 bearings + Angle iron)
    I suspect you mean Kent's machine and if so, it is well documented on Joe's Website with 34 pages of posts.

Cheers
    Peter

The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by P.Passuello View Post
    I suspect you mean Kent's machine and if so, it is well documented on Joe's Website with 34 pages of posts.

Cheers
    Peter
    Ahh.. except you have to fork up $$$ to see the forums. Bummer. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The price of Joes plans/forums is money well spent for anyone planning on building a cnc router.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dimensions request

Can anyone tell me what the dimensions are of the "8020" that is used on Joe's Hybrid CNC Router? I can see from the photos on the internet that it is not 80mm X 20mm but What is it? I have a CNC router which uses plywood for the gantry and I want to replace it with the same "8020" that is used on Joe's CNC Router.

Thanks,
    Keith

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keithstanley View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the dimensions are of the "8020" that is used on Joe's Hybrid CNC Router? I can see from the photos on the internet that it is not 80mm X 20mm but What is it? I have a CNC router which uses plywood for the gantry and I want to replace it with the same "8020" that is used on Joe's CNC Router.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Hi Keith,

I don't have the plans on this computer, but IIRC I used 1.5x3 inch 8020. I think Joe specked out the metric equivalent in the plans. It your looking for extra stability then you may consider going with a double rail (2 8020 rails, 4 angle brackets with the 8020 spaced about 3 inches apart).

Steven

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 175764656667686970 ... LastLast