work linux EMC with Syil SX3 converse?

Thread: work linux EMC with Syil SX3 converse?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ata,

If their drivers use step/dir signals, then it should be possible to control it with EMC2.

You just need to figure out which pins are step and dir for each axis and which pins represent the limits, estop and spindle control. Then modify the config file for EMC to match your machine.

Good luck,
    Alan

Last edited by acondit; 04-06-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling error

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    If their drivers use step/dir signals, then it should be possible to control it with EMC2.
    You just need to figure out which pins are step and dir for each axis and which pins represent the limits, estop and spindle control. Then modify the config file for EMC to match your machine.
    Hi Alan,
    is this, bellow, the step/dir signals, what you mean?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails work linux EMC with Syil SX3 converse?-parallel_sx3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

ATA,

That looks like the info you need. You will also need figure out how many steps per inch or mm for each axis.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The A-axis is listed as having an input on pin 10. According to EMC's HAL documentation, this isn't going to work:

"The HAL driver supports the bidirectional port, and allows the user to
    set the data group as either input or output. If configured as output, a port provides a total of 12
    outputs and 5 inputs. If configured as input, it provides 4 outputs and 13 inputs."

See page 54 for input mode and output mode pinouts: http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/HAL_Documentation.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that also, but I suspect that is an error in their documentation. A-axis direction should be an output signal not an input.

If I was converting a Syil SX3 to EMC2, I might be inclined to rewire the signals to a more common format like the xylotex pinout or the standard EMC2 pinout (Just a thought). I haven't looked at the Syil documentation so I don't know how difficult that would be.

Alan

Last edited by acondit; 04-07-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added comment

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're right, the A axis direction must be an output if the pulse is an output.

Downloads
    Uploads

z axis limit and a axis direction are both wrong on that chart, are they swapped?
    don't see the problem with pin 10, could be missing something.

Downloads
    Uploads

ATA,

I missed the z-limit problem. Maybe you need to e-mail Syil and point out the problems with the documentation on pinouts and get them to clarify.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

has anyone got the EMC working with Syil SX3?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Yeah

Yeah, I've got it working. I don't have all the bugs worked out of the config yet but all 3 axes are moving and they look like they're moving the right distances. The documentation on the Syril is correct as far as the defaults and the pinout. Your SCALE value on all 3 axes is 25400 if you use the default 25 microsteps and have the same 200 steps per rev and the 5.08 TPI ball screws.

I'm working on the feed rates - the jog is too fast for this computer to generate pulses for (500Mhz !!! ahahahaa) but F10. takes 6 seconds (as proper) to go 1 inch. 20 IPM seems to be too much for this crappy e-machines computer to handle.

I still need to get the spindle set up on it - it's step & direction like an axis, not pwm. Anyone got any ideas on that? I need to map spindle RPM in the g-code to step rate.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wondering if anyone has gotten EMC working with the new X4 (or X4+) Mill or the C6 lathe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SYIL X4 profile?

I gave up with Mach3 remembering all the reasons why I hated Windows for word processing.
    So have now switched to EMC2 which is loaded onto an old PC under Ubuntu 8.04.
    Would really appreciate if someone could supply the various timing and speed parameters. If not, then I will begin some trial and error experiments tomorrow. The X4 documentation manual only gives the parallel port pinouts.