My cnc table

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My cnc table

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My cnc table

Hi everyone-

This is the first time that I have posted here, but I have been reading the previous posts for the last several months.

I finally decided to start building my cnc plasma table. I decided to build a 6 x 12 table. I have read many posts that said that I should build a smaller practice table, but I really don’t have the time to build two tables.

My table is built out of 4 x 6 tubing that is resting on a piece of ½ inch plate. I am planning on building a water table, to try to eliminate some of the smoke in my shop.

So far I have the 4 x 6 tubes welded together, and tacked to the plate, and the 7 legs welded on.

I have to do some welding on the gussets, and then I can flip the table onto the legs.

I am planning on welding a piece of 2 inch angle on the inside perimeter of the 4x6 tube for the support slats to rest on.

I am sure that I am going to have many, many questions during the next few months.

Once I get the main portion of the table fully welded together, and the table flipped over, I will post some pictures of my progress

Steve

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds great, glad to see you taking the plunge!
    Keep us all updated on how it goes, hopefully you will be burning metal real soon.
    Never be afraid to ask questions, there is a wealth of knowledge available here, thanks to a large number of dedicated members.
    Good luck!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Downloads
    Uploads

Am I understand you correctly? The 1/2" plate is going to be welded to the bottom of your 4 X 6 tube to create your water chamber?

If it works.....Don't fix it!

Downloads
    Uploads

That is the plan for now. I have the 4 x 6 tubes tacked together, the plate on top of that, then a total of 7 legs under the table. I also welded 4 pieces of 6 inch channel on the plate to help with the deflection.

I was going to flip the table over, but I have decided to finish the legs before I turn it over. I still need to cap the legs and install the feet. After that, I will turn it over. (I hope)

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I still have not had the time to finish the legs of my table and flip it over. So I took some pictures of it upside down.

I am going to try to post these pictures.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My cnc table-image_010-jpg   My cnc table-image_011-jpg   My cnc table-image_012-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good, I love retarded overkill...

On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Downloads
    Uploads

DSL- When it is left over scrap-- you use what you have

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I need a 5x10 scrap piece of 1/2" plate.......
    Got any more?

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

Downloads
    Uploads

How are you going to drain & clean the water chamber when needed?

One thing is for sure, You will not have to worry about rapid direction changes on the gantry moving the table base around.

& I agree if it's cheap or even better "FREE" it's for me.

If it works.....Don't fix it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    How are you going to drain & clean the water chamber when needed?

One thing is for sure, You will not have to worry about rapid direction changes on the gantry moving the table base around.

& I agree if it's cheap or even better "FREE" it's for me.

I agree. That is one heck of a base for the table.
    Better to over do it than under do it!
    The only way it gets better than free is if someone pays you to take it

-RedGreen show.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post

This is the first time that I have posted here, but I have been reading the previous posts for the last several months.
    Welcome,

Your study & reading has paid off by giving a great start to the new machine.

Thanks for the photos.
    They certainly help to follow your progress, keep them coming.

Downloads
    Uploads

This weekend, I finally had some free time to work on my plasma table. I flipped the table over, and started to stitch weld the inside. I am welding about 3-4 inches, and then moving to the other side. I am trying to keep the table from warping. Here are some pictures I took today.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My cnc table-image_013-jpg   My cnc table-image_014-jpg   My cnc table-image_015-jpg  

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

There will be warping, but there's always a solution to fix it. I calculated with some warping when I welded my steel frame and then I lined it up with epoxy. Works like a charm.
    You've got a crazy machine coming, looks good!

Regards,
    Sven

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know what to say about all this.

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally ordered my leveling feet for the table. They have 3/4 inch threads, and a 3 inch base.

I have made the mounts using a piece of 3 inch channel, with a welded 3/8 inch piece of plate on top. I then welded a 3/4 inch structural nut on the back side of the channel.

Here is a picture of the feet. I can't find the picture of the mounts I made.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My cnc table-image_016-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The feet are finally on, and i can now level the table! Once the table is level, I am going to fill it with water and then check for leaks.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My cnc table-image_017-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First, that table is looking great... If I may suggest before you level the table put a little water in it and "tilt" it with the forklift to check your welds. A lot less water to deal with if there is a leak.
    Also a nice addition would be the ability to raise and lower the water level at the touch of a switch... just need a tank that will hold all the water for your table (old compressor tank), two solenoid or manual valves, a little pipe a few fittings and some compressed air. Plumb from table to lowest point on tank, then on the highest point on tank, add short piece of pipe with Tee on top, one side of the Tee will be a valve for air fill the other will be a valve for air vent to atmosphere. Close vent side open fill side, water will rise in table, close fill valve at desired water level. Open vent valve when ready to drop water...

Again very nice table.

James

Downloads
    Uploads

Time for am update-

I am trying to decide on what type of linear rails to purchase. I called http://www.superiorbearing.com and received a quote of $78.69 per meter for the size 25 linear rail, and a price of $88.82 per meter for the size 30.

Or should I go with a named brand like THK or Thomson rail?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

p.s. I am mounting the rail on 2x 2 cold roll steel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Damn dude that is a serious table ya got goin, but what really impresses me is that other table in the back ground, looks like you used 12" I beams, seriously solid.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    Time for am update-

I am trying to decide on what type of linear rails to purchase. I called http://www.superiorbearing.com and received a quote of $78.69 per meter for the size 25 linear rail, and a price of $88.82 per meter for the size 30.

Or should I go with a named brand like THK or Thomson rail?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

p.s. I am mounting the rail on 2x 2 cold roll steel
    There really isn't much point in spending more money. I have seen machines put together using the 15mm size. IMHO, 25mm is more than fine.

Check HIwin (sp?) as well. THK, IKO and others make a nice product, but they are not the only players in the game anymore.

-RedGreen show.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast