Mechanical Digitizing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Digitizing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mechanical Digitizing?

When digitizing with a probe mounted on a vertical mill do most mills move through a grid and then come down at each point for a z height measurement or do they actually work around the object measuring the from the side of the object?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All that I have seen mesure in the z dirrection. Moving in a grid like pattern

Downloads
    Uploads

Renishaw and Heidenhain and others make a X,Y,Z, probe's, usually on a CNC mill macros are written using the G31 function (skip input) and will capture whatever you want, typical macros are for center of hole/boss, outside of boss, edge of part, tool length etc.
    3 axis probe's are not usually cheap,Up to $10k's but I picked up one on ebay for just over $100, I am just in the process of implementing it on a mill I have.
    Al

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Al...
    Could you post a picture of that probe that cost only a $100?
    Wow! what deal!

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a Heidenhain and it apears to be new or never used.
    Al

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mechanical Digitizing?-probe-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

OOooo! nice find Al! I've been interested in digitizing but never came across something on E-bay like you have....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maxnc makes a probe that work ok for most things. +-.002 or so, not a cmm but ok for most things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Digitizing Probe for DeskCNC

Has anyone used the digitizing probe available for DeskCNC software?
    I could not even find a picture of it, but I figured for $225.00 what the heck, so I ordered one, I have not recieved it yet, but will post some pics and my two cents worth when I get it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a picture with the product announcement.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...&threadid=1511

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought one last week for use with mach2. I set it up wrong and broke the stylus. Then the second time I used it the stylus came unscrewed. Gotta make sure its tight. I learned to do small things. A 0.03 stepover x and 0.06 y at 45ipm on a 18.25x18.25 square will take about 180 hours to digitize. So I just did a 1/4 of it with a .125" stepover and it only took 5 hours. Now i'm trying to figure out how to get the point cloud into a solid model. Wish I would have run it a 0.06" stepover. could have been done in 11 hours.

Donny

Downloads
    Uploads

Whiteriver,
    A couple of questions if you don't mind. You will have to excuse me, I ordered mine with DeskCNC, it was not too expensive, so I figured I would check it out. I understand that it is just a 5 way probe switch, but what are you doing to import your image, do you run the machine in a grid formation and the probe reads only on the z-down, or does it read on the x-y plane as well?
    What type of file is generated by your point cloud after digitizing? Can this file be opend in Rhino3D and "tweeked" before re-machining?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Probe

I guess if I would have read the whole thread I could have answered my own question.
    So can you use this probe in the x-y planes for edge detection with DeskCNC?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The DeskCNC probe with DeskCNC will autoscan a defined cubic volume. The setup process for 3D involves jogging across the corners of the extents, then setting scanning rates and stepover size for X and Y. This automatically calculates the number of points and estimates the resulting .STL file size. When the scan is completed the data is automatically back compensated for the radius of the probe.

It is not designed for edge finding, but if calibrated against a known standard, could probably be used for this purpose.

Fred Smith - IMService

Downloads
    Uploads

So as it is traveling horizontal it contacts an object it registers position, or it horizontals only at the uppermost z position programmed into the cubic volume you are scanning, and only measures in z down position at each vector point determined by stepover grid?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The probe should never move to the Max Z height except at start and stop. If it does, the probe may have been disconnected. During scanning, it appears that the probe tip is in constant contact with and rolls over the surface.

Just one of the many benefits of a serial port CNC controller. ;-)

Fred Smith - IMService

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have one of these probes coming this week so have been reading this with interest, would defining a narrow max/min band work to use the probe as an edge finder for 2D?

Downloads
    Uploads

I thank you very much for the info, I can't wait until mine arrives!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Probing macros for Fanuc MACRO-B

We wrote macros for Fanuc MACRO-B many years ago that would not only do a simple grid (touching in -Z), but we could also do:

1) Profiling, where the Z is held constant and the initial probing direction is either +X, -X, +Y or -Y. Let's say the probe starts touching in +X. As the probe works its way along the part, if the angle of the surface exceeds 45 degrees, it changes direction to touch in +Y. If the angle keeps changing past the next 45 degree angle, it switches to -X, etc. This lets you digitize all the way around a cam or any 2-D contour. If you also program a Z step increment, the probe moves up/down by that amount and it digitizes are around the part again. This routine works great for steep-walled pockets, cams, etc.

2) Multi-directional probing in X-Z, where you probe a row of points along the Y axis. The direction of the probe touching automatically changes from -Z to -X to -Z to +X to -Z as the surface gets steeper or shallower than 45 degrees from vertical. When a row of points is collected, the probe retracts and goes to the first point in the next row in Y. This cycle is great for digitizing along a horizontal surface, down into a cavity (or up a steep wall) then along a horizontal surface again.

2) Multi-directional probing in Y-Z, where you probe a row of points along the Xaxis. The direction of the probe touching automatically changes from -Z to -Y to -Z to +Y to -Z as the surface gets steeper or shallower than 45 degrees from vertical. When a row of points is collected, the probe retracts and goes to the first point in the next row in X.

We also used a sub-macro to actually touch the surface in each direction. That sub-macro could be set to take a single touch, or a double-touch for better accuracy.

We found that simple -Z grid digitizing almost never worked well in the real world. Steep walls and corners need to be digitized too, and these cycles were developed to accommodate all those surfaces.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default combination digitizing and machining.

I am allowed one dumb question per week.
    Some years ago I used a Gorton Panto Mill for copy milling.
    Would it be possible to set up a piece of material and an original on the table an perform the machining using direct instruction to the cnc controller from the probe input. in other words a cnc copy mill without the need to generate G-Code in the normal way.

wfiles

The more I learn The Less I seem To Know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you want to copy mill, I would recommend you use a copy mill. They are dedicated to this task and a CNC will not be as productive.

With DeskCNC, you scan directly to the CAD file, and make the g-code. It's not the "normal" way because it's all included in one package. You never need to even see the G-code, and can make as many exact/ modified/ or scaled copies as you want.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast