BIJUR info for BP Series 1 CNC repair

Thread: BIJUR info for BP Series 1 CNC repair

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking BIJUR info for BP Series 1 CNC repair

I hope this helps anyone who has to fix a Bijur pump.

I fixed my Bijur pump (was a TMD-5 model) and lubrication system on my BP series 1 CNC (Boss 4.1) with help from:

1. Bijur: 1-800-631-0168 talked with Clarice X5473 (very nice) faxed me service instructions with part list and diagram
    Parts used:
    B9834 Motor cover gasket $1.53
    B8197 Resevoir gasket $3.03
    B5220 Leather cups (need 2) $2.65 each
    S-109 Filter group $17.37
    H0-402 "O"- rings (bought 2) $1.16

Make sure that everything on the inside of the Bijur unit is spotless, and put some oil in it and make sure it works. Make sure that you write down the wiring connections before you take it off the machine.

2. General Bearing 1-800-373-2105 or 1-323-588-2101 - talked to Bob (last name Fytman I think), who is a factory rep for Bijur. Sells the metering units (little brass items located at places in the line. There are some on the left side of the machine. Check those first. Make absolutely sure that the line going up and back (to spindle) is working! I used part number 185502 (bought 3 for $7.37 each). Metering units have numbers on the side: 3/0 lowest flow, 0 0 next lowest, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in order of increasing flow. Check the number on the side and order the same number. Bob can help you figure out what you have.

3. ME

I slide the bed (~340 pounds!) off to the left of the machine and supported it on a table and an eyebolt on the bed with a pulley system up to the top of my garage. Was able to get to each metering unit. Was able to clean out all the chips and other gunk under the bed as well. Check each one for flow, and replace if there is not some flow. Clean out oiling grooves on ways with Q-Tips and any orfices that bring oil to the grooves (mine were full of sludge). Even the gib should be taken out and cleaned because it has holes/slot in it that was gunked up. Only draw back, is that now that all are working I get lots more oil on the floor.

Solution: Go to dollar store and get cheap aluminum cookie sheets and place on floor and machine base. I refilter the way oil using coffee filters (also bought at dollar store) and use it on my manual lathe ways (much cleaner than chips and works better than car oil). I would not reuse it in the Bijur unit because those metering units get clogged with small particles.

My machine acts like it is much smoother with the bed and cross slide moving much easier now.

Hope this is useful to all! - John

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the great post.

Mine needs repair, now I have a blueprint.

Karl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Glad to help

This forum has lots of great info, and I thought I should add my two cents.

Just be careful to draw pictures of how the parts we assembled as you take it apart.

- John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great thread for all!

To help clarify how the Bijur metering units work, so you do not think they are totally plugged up.

They should not flow continuous. They will pass an ejected amount based on the metering number Then they will go into check mode stopping flow-thru, until feed pressure is released or dissipates. This allows other metered points to activate for their respective cycles. Once closed in idle position after the pressure is gone, they should become anti-siphon check valves to keep oil in the lines from going back to tank or running out. Any lube lines open to the outside world, without metering, normally causes the whole system to fail to the point of least resistance. Nothing gets enough oil pressure to open the metering units, or at least not the proper amounts and that leads to plugged up oil ports for lack of proper flushing out debris.

IMHO, it cannot be stressed enough. Proper lubrication should be one of the first things on any check list for used and new machine tools. Regardless if it is pressure or oil can applied.

One last statement that most users may not realize. If you do a setup for a precision part dimension for depth of cuts. Giving the machine a pressure shot of oil mid run, can and will float the table for a brief period of time. More so on surface grinders, but mills can be just as susceptible to it. Something to be aware of if the machine is running and you get the itch to pump the Bijur!

DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
    ...Only draw back, is that now that all are working I get lots more oil on the floor.
    - John
    I had this problem. My machine often runs into the night unattended. I also may not shut the machine down for several days at a time so I don't lose my zero. Since the Bijur pump pumps on a timer, the floor around the machine would get quite juicy, even if it was just idling.

My solution was to re-wire the Bijur pump through the spindle drive. I don't recall if the pump is 110V or 220V, but either wiring it between one phase of the spindle motor connection and common or between two phases only allows the pump to pump when the spindle is running… and if the spindle ain't running, there should be little reason for the table to be moving.

After a long shut-down, the spindle can be run a couple of minutes to get the oil flowing again

Downloads
    Uploads

One of Many, thanks for the insight, wish I knew that several months ago when I was going through mine. So in designing a system, the sum of outputs of each metering unit needs to equal the output of the pump. At least if you want to use the full output of the pump anyway. Is this correct?
    And if you are trying to prime the oil points (to check flow) then you would need to pulse the pressure, not just try to force it through. Oops

If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jderou,

Most applications I have come across never really use the full volume of the pump. Maybe 1/4-1/2? This is due to some viscosity lag in getting oil through the longer lines. Therefore the pump should maintain a steady pressure long enough to get the longest runs metering units to activate. Either through an internal pressure relief or bleed port, the pressure eventually fades off. Thicker or thinner oils will influence this duration to some degree.

My older EZ-Trak has a pressure gage and automatic Bijur. The gage includes a red marker needle to verify the machine does reach pressure of 60psi using Vactra 2. Per my previous comment........if the oiler timer triggers the pump during a fly cut or finishing operation, the .002-.003 table float is noticable, Dho!.

If the first shot does not eject oil, then yes, you could consider this priming the lines and metering units so that the next pump cycle lubes as expected. I'd say this is not unusual to see a machine require a few pump cycles to verify lube flow out to all points after a long idle state.

DC