Xylotex cant ship into EU!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xylotex cant ship into EU!

Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Xylotex cant ship into EU!

Hi,
    I was just starting to get myself moving on my solsylva machine and I e-mailed Xylotex about getting their 3 Axis System Kit. I wanted to know how to specify 220V in the order as their site says you can, and also find how much would shipping to Ireland be......but they dont ship into the EU!!!!!!!!!

Did nobody else know this or did I just completely miss it somewhere??

How have people gotten around this?

There isn't any similar items available here. The link on the Xylotex site to the UK is my closest supplier but the cost is nearly 3 times as much after conversion to Euro....

...I feel blue....

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by diarmaid; 07-17-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just guessing here but it may have something to do with July 1 and the acronym "RoHS".

Mariss

Cool

RoHS Explained
    Author: Gabriel Torres
    Type: Tutorials
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/232

Very interresting!
    Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    RoHS Explained
    Author: Gabriel Torres
    Type: Tutorials
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/232

Very interresting!
    Eric
    Very informative. Thanks for the link, Eric.

HayTay

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Downloads
    Uploads

It says on their web site 'Due to not RoHs compliant'

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid
    How have people gotten around this?

If you could get someone in N. America to buy and ship for you
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man
    It says on their web site 'Due to not RoHs compliant'

If you could get someone in N. America to buy and ship for you
    Al.
    Then that person gets in trouble? "If caught"....

Dave Rigotti
    www.hobbycnc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hobbycnc
    Then that person gets in trouble? "If caught"....

Dave Rigotti
    www.hobbycnc.com
    This legislation is effective July 1st, 2006 and from this date on products using these substances cannot be sold in Europe anymore. Together with RoHS, another directive dealing with the recycling of electrical and electronic equipment, called WEEE (Waste from Electrical and Electronic Equipment), will take place-quote from http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/232

it says that it can't be sold in EU anymore not shipped from person to person. As it would be sold in US and untill shipping of sudstances is banned....then are you braking any laws?

Last edited by lakeside; 07-16-2006 at 08:21 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd post a comment on that article but I cant remember what it said because of all the lead in my drinking water!

For f@#" sake! Seriously! Thats a damned stupid law. I like the EU, generally I think they're rules are very good and well thought out, but this is bloody stupid. As the article said, theres not that much lead in electronic components. And we're starting to recycle electronic components instead of dumping them anyway. FFS!

As it happens Im probably going to Florida in August/Sept so I'll see about getting two of the 3 Axis kits shipped to the hotel b4 I go. If it doesnt work out I'll have to see if I can find a trustworthy and helpful person to send them to me. I have relations in the states but ain't in contact with them much.....

If I can't get them myself I'll start a new thread and see if anyone would possibly pm me to say they're willing to help, but I dont want anyone to get into trouble, but it would be hugely appreciated. If you are willing to help please don't post it for everyone to see, I dont want to cause trouble.

I'll see how it goes when Im going over to the states.

Thanks for all the comments, I didn't know what RoHS meant.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

RoHS means more expensive and less reliable electronics.

1) Normal solder (63/37) melts at 177C, SnAgCu solder (no lead) melts at 227C. Some silicon devices are rated at 260C maximum for 10 seconds during soldering. Lead-free soldering leaves less than 33C of "head-room" between the solder melting and the part being damaged. This "head-room" is 83C with normal solder. The mfg process must be very carefully controlled when using lead-free solder.

2) SnAgCu solder has a tendency to grow "whiskers" under some enviromental conditions. These whiskers grow over time until they short-out adjacent soldered pads. This can cause failure of the electronic circuitry in a 2000 to 3000 hour time span. This whisker growth occurs even when the circuit is unpowered.

3) Repair becomes more difficult or even impossible because of the high temperatures needed to de-solder and re-solder during a rework/repair process. Parts get heat damaged, component metalization heat-oxidizes, copper trace to PCB epoxy board adhesive fails and multilayer boards can delaminate. Our experience is it takes 3 times as long just to bring the solder to a melting temperature when using a hot-air rework station.

4) Lead-free solder and fluxes have poorer wetting qualities. An unwetted solder connection results in sub-standard quality solder joints which affects reliability of the circuit. Again, a very good control of the process is required.

Mariss

Downloads
    Uploads

a manufactor would not ship directly but an internet sale from a hobbyshop might. Before this thread other than our friend the E.E who know?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Enforcement of RoHS is left up to the individual EU member states.

Britain for one is taking a very hard stand on enforcement. They are said to intend to take a zero-tolerance stance with no allowances whatsoever for even honest mistakes. Violations will result in criminal and civil court sanctions against any and all violators.

For that reason we will be very hesitant to ship product there until we are absolutely certain we can guarantee full compliance. That certainty will occur when we no longer have any non-compliant components in stock. What if a SMT line operator here accidentally inserts a tube of non-RoHS compliant integrated circuits into the pick-and-place machine?

Put into perspective: We consume a 500g tub of solder paste to produce 1,000 drives. The paste alloy is 63% Sn, 37% Pb. This means a single drive has 0.185 grams or 0.0065 oz of lead in it. That is a 2.5mm or 0.1" cube of lead per drive.

Mariss

Last edited by Mariss Freimanis; 07-16-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis
    Enforcement of RoHS is left up to the individual EU member states.

Britain for one is taking a very hard stand on enforcement. They are said to intend to take a zero-tolerance stance with no allowances whatsoever for even honest mistakes. Violations will result in criminal and civil court sanctions against any and all violators.
    Mariss
    If it was a second party sale to a third party. who can they go after the third party. Becase if it shipped in the US which is point of sale. there was no sale in the EU only shipping too.

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont think 'Average Joe' the customs guy knows the details of this, thats if it was a private package sent to and from a private individual. Commercial packages are probably more rigorously checked, and/or by different customs employees. If it was sent to me by snail mail privately by my cousin or whoever, then Im sure it'd just be stamped for VAT and handed to me upon payment.

Downloads
    Uploads

And besides, if its sent in a basic cardboard box, instead of its original Xylotex packaging, Average Joe dealing with 3000 packages a day is hardly going to send it to an engineering lab to determine the presence of lead before giving it to me....customs have bigger fish to fry, drugs, arms smuggling etc etc

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    ...it says that it can't be sold in EU anymore not shipped from person to person. As it would be sold in US and untill shipping of sudstances is banned....then are you braking any laws?
    I have e-mailed Xylotex and said that technically purchasing over the internet is not 'inside' the EU, and that the regulations dont specifically state that such items can't be shipped into the EU just that they cant be sold here. So will they please send a 3 Axis System Kit to me since Im not purchasing it inside the EU and no-one is breaking any laws......worth a try......the internet 'grey area' is so useful.

Downloads
    Uploads

good luck if all else fails pm me mikelakeside@comcast.net

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid
    since Im not purchasing it inside the EU and no-one is breaking any laws......worth a try......the internet 'grey area' is so useful.
    If your caught I'll poll the lads here for the bail money

But your probabally right, I suspect that the first line will be to checked will be Commercial shipments, and even then it will be random, considering the 1000's of shipments daily.
    Private person shipments will rarely, if ever get checked.
    It might be a bit dicey to take them back with you, considering they are electronic components, I have seen a tighening in security with shipments to Europe in the past couple of years.
    Good luck.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Of course they wont send your package to an engineering lab for verification, they can simply ask for the certificate of compliance with ROHS or keep it at customs untill you show it.

Not rohs related, but here in Argentina if you import an electric apliance and it, for example, dont use the approved power plug, its retained at customs until you provide all the paperwork, it happened twice to me, last time was 10 days ago, and the package is still at customs... a PITA...

Pablo

Downloads
    Uploads

Diarmaid,

Have you checked with Dave Rigotti at HobbyCNC? His new HobbyCNC Pro 4-axis board is RoHS Compliant and he is now shipping to EU. Lots of new added features to boot! Plus, I hear, Dave's a great guy to deal with and he's also an active member of CNCzone. Yes, he's the one who responded in post #6 of this thread. I'd PM him (username: hobbycnc) or start a thread in the HobbyCNC forum to verify pricing and shipping to Ireland. Since Dave didn't give himself a shameless plug, I had to.

Here's another option:
    Do you, or one of your mates, have the skill set to "roll your own" driver boards? There's plenty of info/resources on PMinMO's website, PICList's LiniStepper site, and AVR-STMD web pages. Another great resource is/was Alan Garfield's PICstep website (http://www.fromorbit.com/projects/picstep/index.php), but it seems to have disappeared. Anyone have any info or updates on the PICstep driver website?

A quick tutorial on how to etch your own PCB's is available from 5 Bears Research.

Just one more thing you would be able add to your résumé,

HayTay

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Downloads
    Uploads

Im looking at the HobbyCNC option again. Can someone tell me what the differance is between the required 'PCB Soldering Skills' and just regular soldering skills?

My soldering skills are amature at best, I dont even own a soldering iron, and only soldered a few times, but Im more than willing to buy one and give it a go.

I've read in other threads that the Xylotex driver board was better than the HobbyCNC (And the Gecko better again etc). That info along with not having to do much 'sticking together' in the Xylotex (its not a 'kit' !) is what made me choose it over the HobbyCNC. Is this true...any comments?
    Thanks.

Ironically, I do have a few spools of nice lead based solder and will be using it if I go the HobbyCNC route.......

Do you think Dave would mind being harassed if I have any problems with putting it all together? (Although I'd most likely just post any questions that arise on the zone)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast