EZ TRAK PLUS cable RS232c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZ TRAK PLUS cable RS232c

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow EZ TRAK PLUS cable RS232c

As in the subject.. Do you have a schematic or just can explain how should I build up a cable for Bridgeport's EZ TRAK PLUS control unit with RS232c interface? It's not described in maual (greetings to machintek).

I found some description searching the forum (see attached pic) but I think it's wrong (looking at RS232 specification....)

As usual, I'd appreciate any feedback!
    Greg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EZ TRAK PLUS cable RS232c-rs232pic-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I created that schematic about 6 years ago, you have posted there. My control is the predescessor to the Plus version. So, without a doubt it is correct for my machine. I am using EZ-link with no troubles. IIRC the pins with jumpers are a standard protocol for com ports without a handshake. These jumpers would set each port ready for transmit or recieve. Athough the 25pin on the EZ-trak control may not use 5&20, I have used this cable suscessfully for other RS-232 capable equipment.

You could verify what your 25pin configuration is. If it does not work the first try, you could swap pins 2&3 at one end of the cable. I removed the cover from the control to get the information I needed to create my cable.

I purchased the ends with hood shields and cable through Jameco, but they should be available locally at an electronics supplier near you. Surplus cables can be reconfigured if the ends are not molded on. Remove the case, locate and resolder the ends to reflect the schematic and try it out.

DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question EZ TRAK PLUS cable RS232c

For sure I'm going to try! Sorry for my doubts, but if you take a look for instance at this specification http://www.science.uva.nl/museum/rs232c.html you'll find out that:
    #1 on your schematic pins 7 from DB9 & DB25 are connected, but for DB9 it means RTS (Request To Send) and for DB25 it means Signal GND. To me pin5 from DB9 should be joined to pin7 of DB25 (to get common GND)...
    #2 why on DB9 pin4 (DTR - Data Terminal Ready) is in short circuit with pin5 (signal GND).
    Those consideration put me in doubts... Could you verify that? Is it really in accordance with your cable?

Second thing is related to the supplier. I'm located in Poland, Europe, and believe me - it's not available here and that is the reason why I'm going to build it up by myself.

As you wrote about the "predecessor to the Plus version", I understood that you own EZ TRAK (w/o PLUS) control. If so, please send me an example of program cuz I'm not sure how this should look like! Is it something like that for instance:
    0000 EZTRAK|3X 1 MODE|MM |NO COMP 07 01:07:12 1996
    0002 AUXFUN T1 M6
    0004 LINE ABS X0.0 Y30.18 Z0.0 F50.0
    0006 ARC|CNTRPT ABS CW X55.0 Y50.38 Z0.0 XC55.0 YC-34.62 F50.0
    0008 LINE ABS X55.0 Y30.0 Z0.0 F50.0
    0010 RAPID ABS X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0 F70.0
    0012 AUXFUN T1 M2
    or it's wrong and EZ-LINK (or control unit) would not "undertand" it well???

I'd appreciate any reply, thanks
    Greg, grzeniua@wp.pl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg,

I don't blame you for being reserved, since this cable is not a typical off the shelf item. I can appreciate that. As I have stated before in other posts on this topic. I think BP or SouthWest Industries(the OEM of this control, AKA ProtoTrak) used this cable configuration as one of those "High dollar" items only they could supply you. It is a lot less complex than the full standard RS232.

I do not know where or how that program you have posted was created from. It does not look like what I am familiar with. I do not know if the file format between the first generation EZ-Trak and the Plus version was that far different. Someone else would need to confirm that.

Here are 2 equivalent files of the included drawing. This drawing was used as a test to create a post processor that would work with my mill. The tool 1 cutter diameter in both was set to .375. Tool 2 are 2 rapid moves with a drill for the 2 holes.

Although the format is quite different, both run nearly identical.

My files must have the .TXT extention and be of a number. As in these examples, 222.txt or 2222.txt. Take note that both end with the % symbol as a marker to the end of file.

Hope this helps.

DC

The PN222 is done directly on the control to see what the output file generated.

PN222 G20;
    N001 G101 XB0A YB0A XE0.5A YE1.0A TC1 F99.9 D0.375 CR0 T01 ;
    N002 G101 XB0I YB0I XE4.0A YE1.0A TC1 F5.0 D0.375 CR0 T01 ;
    N003 G101 XB0I YB0I XE4.0A YE2.0A TC1 F5.0 D0.375 CR0 T01 ;
    N004 G101 XB0I YB0I XE3.375A YE2.0A TC1 F5.0 D0.375 CR0 T01 ;
    N005 G102 XB0I YB0I XE3.0A YE2.375A XC3.375A YC2.375A F5.0 TC1 D0.375 CR0 T01 ;
    N006 G101 XB0I YB0I XE3.0A YE2.625A TC1 F5.0 D0.375 CR0 T01 ;
    N007 G103 XB0I YB0I XE2.625A YE3.0A XC2.625A YC2.625A F5.0 TC1 D0.375 CR0 T01 ;
    N008 G101 XB0I YB0I XE1.0A YE3.0A TC1 F5.0 D0.375 CR0 T01 ;
    N009 G101 XB0I YB0I XE1.0A YE0.625A TC1 F5.0 D0.375 CR- T01 ;
    N010 G100 X2.0A Y1.5A T02 ;
    N011 G100 X1.5A Y2.5A T02 ;
    N012 G105 FE011 LE011 XO0 YO0 RE01 D0.375 T03 ;
    N013 G105 FE010 LE010 XO0 YO0 RE01 D0.375 T03 ;
    N014 G100 X0A Y0A T02 ;
    %

The PN2222 was a file generated/posted from my CAM program.

N5 (PROGRAM START) (1) PN2222 G20 G90 T1 CR0 ;
    N10 G0 X1.0 Y0.8125 Z5.0 ;
    N15 (Z RAPID) Z0.05 ;
    N20 (LINEAR MOVE) F5.0 G1 X4.0 ;
    N25 (CIRC MOVE) G3 X4.1875 Y1.0 XC4.0 YC1.0;
    N30 (LINEAR MOVE) F5.0 G1 Y2.0 ;
    N35 (CIRC MOVE) G3 X4.0 Y2.1875 XC4.0 YC2.0;
    N40 (LINEAR MOVE) F5.0 G1 X3.375 ;
    N45 (CIRC MOVE) G2 X3.1875 Y2.375 XC3.375 YC2.375;
    N50 (LINEAR MOVE) F5.0 G1 Y2.625 ;
    N55 (CIRC MOVE) G3 X2.625 Y3.1875 XC2.625 YC2.625;
    N60 (LINEAR MOVE) F5.0 G1 X1.0 ;
    N65 (CIRC MOVE) G3 X0.8125 Y3.0 XC1.0 YC3.0;
    N70 (LINEAR MOVE) F5.0 G1 Y1.0 ;
    N75 (CIRC MOVE) G3 X1.0 Y0.8125 XC1.0 YC1.0;
    N80 (SEGMENT START) (2) G0 X2.0 Y1.5 Z0.1 ;
    N85 (XY RAPID) F5.0 G0 X1.5 Y2.5 ;
    % ;
    (FILE END) ;

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EZ TRAK PLUS cable RS232c-ez-trak-test-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Ez Trak Plus

The program posted by me was created by EZ-CAM ver. 14, but it's possible that I have used wrong options and thus received wrong format.. I have to play with that a bit more...

Anyway thanks for your example!

Then I have to ask if you can advice me some options applicable for my machine? I'm notsure how to generate...

About the cable - I've got that - greetings to NC cams

To whom it may concern - see attached pic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EZ TRAK PLUS cable RS232c-rs232_pin_assigments-jpg  
    Last edited by grzeniua; 05-08-2006 at 04:52 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now that I looked again at the program you posted, it does look familiar. It must be a posting for a newer version of the EZ-Trak SX or DX control. It is very much like the files I have on the EZ-Path lathe at work. No. I don't expect they are compatible.

Good to hear about the cable so soon. One problem down, 20 to go!
    I'll help If I can as far as the control. There are some differences. I rarely use my control for programming any more. The cam system is so much easier.

DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Ez Trak Plus

Now the cable is already prepared, tommorow maybe I'll have an opportunity to try to connect

I'll keep you posted about the progress.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question troubles....

So....
    Finally I tried! I've got a cable prepared basing on my previous post but it deosn't seem to work.
    I have a laptop with Win2k and as I read a lot different posts machintek wrote that EZ-LINK is an old application for DOS. That's OK - I've scored a bootable CD with pure DOS and EZ-LINK. The problem here is that I'm not able to write any file to CD, but it's not important for the moment, I can handle that.
    Finally I've connected PC to EZ-LINK and there was no reaction:
    EZ TRAK PLUS control unit displayed "CANNOT LINK", EZ-LINK displayed READY..and nothing happened.
    Then I've realized that I can check the RS connector at EZ TRAK - I've measured the voltage between pin7 (GND) and pin2 = 0V, between pin7 (GND) and pin3 = -9V. To me it means that pin3 is TxD (I think it's reversed with pin2) and is not in accordance with my specification, rather with One Of Many .
    I've swaped pin2 & pin3 and started EZ-LINK again. Now I started the transmission and EZ-LINK has detected something because it has displayed "WORKING..." but the control unit acts in the same way: immediately displays "Cannot link".
    I suppose that there's some trouble on the cable itself.

One Of Many I have a huge request: could you review again your schematic with your cable in real? I suppose that this would help me a lot and maybe I should build up another one. It's possible that this could work, although it's not a typical configuration.

If someone uses EZ-LINK: is the program sent from control being displayed on the screen? so I can see the syntax. Or you have to save to file (it's impossible for me at this stage because my hard disks are NTFS partitions and DOS simply doesn't recognize them).

I wrote a lot!!! Hope you can help me, thanks in advance!
    Greg

Last edited by grzeniua; 05-23-2006 at 02:52 PM. Reason: signature forgotten;)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grzeniua
    So....
    Finally I tried! I've got a cable prepared basing on my previous post but it deosn't seem to work.
    I have a laptop with Win2k and as I read a lot different posts machintek wrote that EZ-LINK is an old application for DOS. That's OK - I've scored a bootable CD with pure DOS and EZ-LINK. The problem here is that I'm not able to write any file to CD, but it's not important for the moment, I can handle that.
    Finally I've connected PC to EZ-LINK and there was no reaction:
    EZ TRAK PLUS control unit displayed "CANNOT LINK", EZ-LINK displayed READY..and nothing happened.
    Then I've realized that I can check the RS connector at EZ TRAK - I've measured the voltage between pin7 (GND) and pin2 = 0V, between pin7 (GND) and pin3 = -9V. To me it means that pin3 is TxD (I think it's reversed with pin2) and is not in accordance with my specification, rather with One Of Many .
    I've swaped pin2 & pin3 and started EZ-LINK again. Now I started the transmission and EZ-LINK has detected something because it has displayed "WORKING..." but the control unit acts in the same way: immediately displays "Cannot link".
    I suppose that there's some trouble on the cable itself.
    In post #2, I warned about the pins 2 and 3 possibly being reversed. I can't recall, but it seems I may have swapped mine at the control to work with a cable I made up for use on other pieces of com port equipment. So, yours could be as original. I think I did the same as you checking voltages and finding out they were reversed. 6 or 7 years ago, these things aren't as fresh memories as they used to be.

I use mine on a laptop with Win98 and EZlink, no problems. Win2k being a NT based system, I have had all sorts of trouble with dos type programs. There will be no display change during tranfer, at least for the dos version. It acts as a server only. Everything is done at the machine control. In EZlink, Sending or recieving you can set the directory prior to linking. Make sure the buad rate is set to 4800, 7 bit even or no parity(can't recall, but I'll check later).

You could cut and paste the files I previously posted in a notepad document and see if they transmit OK. Make sure it is saved as (up to 8 digit file name) ####.TXT and EZlink is set on the directory holding them. Keep the % at the end and the PN at the header, although the PN may not be as critical. Syntax and format are going to be important for the machine to recognize the files during transfer.

I'd find an older PC machine with a more compatable environment to run with. The old technology conflicts with the new may only compound your troubles.

The cable is what it is. Not much I can say since it works great as drawn for my machine.

DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hint: make sure your hard drive in your Extrak is NOT bigger nor formatted bigger than your OEM supplied H/D from BPT. The 'Trak software ONLY works with an OEM H/D format and size. IF it is bigger or not formatted to OEM format size, you could be putting data where 'Trak can't/wont find it. If that happened, you have to wipe and FDISK to proper size - be sure to back-up BEFORE HAND.

Hint: make sure your communication port is NOT a low voltage type. Some 3.3 volt late model computers won't communicate to the mid-90's vintage hardware in the 'Traks.

Hint: Think and act in MSDOS 6.22 when it comes to 'Trak. Ver 7 dos and "psuedo DOS" for 95 and above may not speak well with the older hardare/protocalls in a 'Trak. "THINK" 1995, not 2006.....

Hint: Boot your 'Trak to DOS and upgrade to DOS 6.22 for "latest" version that we've PROVED will work. Our original install was DOS 5. Our system works better now that we u/g'd to 6.22.

Hint: try defragging H/D once you U/G to 6.22. DOS "defrag" worked fine enough for us and helped speed up system operation.

Hint: make sure you bios does NOT have LBA enabled. THis will screw up the machine's ability to read and store data. Again, LBA didn't exist in mid 90's and the 'Trak won't work with it....

Isn't it fun trying to resurrect "old" equipment?????

GRZ: we used the code you have to write G code for our machine and it runs. I dunno how to help with the data transfer deal asside from suggesting to use a floppy..... or booting in DOS and working outside 'Extrak.

Hint: My version of 'Trak (5, 6 and 7) don't didn't have the EZLINK program anywhere to be found on the install disk - maybe it isn't compatible unless you run it from C:\ prompt...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hint: These versions(1989-1992?) of EZ Trak were made........almost before hard drives were more common than ramdisks! <Chuckles!>

None on them!

DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guys,
    many thanks for your posts, but frankly speaking I feel so much dizzy & confused....so many hints/tips/instructions...
    Regarding PC - I haven't got old one and I don't have any access to get it from anyone so I have to figure out how can I manage (maybe I'll find an old desktop 'cuz I recall that there should be something in the cellar ).

I'll try to build up a cable according to One of Many schematic, although I have some doubts... but if it's confirmed, I'll try!

There's no HD in EZ-TRAK control..

Thanks a lot for now!
    Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg,

Please do try the cable schematic I have posted. It is a common industrial com port RS-232 configuration, not one I just came up with out of the blue.

The 2nd and 3rd generation of EZ-Trak were PC based and far superior to what we have. I'm not certain the SX version had a hard disk, but the DX has both Floppy and hard disk storage. The worst limitation for us is no DNC capability. Memory capacity on these old machines forces us to do portions of a part as in engravings etc. This makes my machine super nice for tooling and prototype work, but not code intense for efficient production work.

I am keeping my eye on motion controllers to convert when this control gives up the ghost.

DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation cable length

There's another doubt....I know - I'm creating a lot of mess and bringing all the issues, but I have to ask to be confident

1st point is related to cable length; the one that I used was some of 5-6 meters. In this case, do you think that this could create any noise on the transmission? especially considering three-wires-in-a-row cable with no shield

2nd one is related to my laptop, just now I've discovered that while booting from CD it creates a virtual disk (ram drive) where I'm able to store files (size is like a FDD 1,4MB which is enough for me)

Maybe due to above points EZ-LINK was not able to write the file, because I launched it from a CD so it couldn't save anything but showed "WORKING..." and EZ-TRAK unit displayed "Cannot link".

Some additional questions: what does mean "DNC link" and "Remote link"? Which is the difference and which option shall I choose

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Once it is working you won't need to worry about it any more, but you will know more about it than you may have really wanted to!

Roughly 10-15 meters would be the length limit for RS232 with good quality shielded wire. Depends on the ambient interference, what it may be in proximity and quality of wire. I am using CAT5 shielded wire, about 4 meters. At a minumum a 4 conductore in twisted pairs.

The virtual ram drive won't retain the file. I don't know if the com port is active to that disk either. EZ Link also must be set to point to that directory. With no real name for it, I don't know if it would work properly. If you know the label of that drive and can reset the directory on startup of the program to point to its ram area, it may load that into memory, but then can you write it back to another Disk?

The version I use is 6.1. Verify setup of COM port, Baud and directory in the "Other" drop down menu. Then in the "To CNC" drop down menu just select EZ-Link, these controls won't do DNC(drip feed) as far as I know. Your version may use the REMOTE LINK, which may be the same function as EZ Link in mine. Simple as that.

The "To CNC" is a misleading label since using EZ-Link the PC is in a remote server mode where all files can be sent or retrieved using the LOAD button on the control itself.

DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down issue...again

Hi!
    Today I've tried to connect.. Seems that One of Many's cable works. It seems to behave better than mine, which I used previously. But still there's no positive result :frown:
    Using EZ-LINK (ldezlink.exe application) there was no change comparing to the last situation - it has just displayed "WORKING..." and nothing more while control unit responds with "Cannot link".
    But....I've tried to use FilterMAX application to verify if there's any reaction and when I tried to receive anything I saw flashing "Transfering" - it was so rapid that I was not able to recognize. So it gave more result than previous version of cable.
    One of Many
    which software (6.1) exactly you use? Could you provide it to me? Maybe it's a matter of wrong environment that I use....

Thanks in advance for response!
    Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Utls.exe is what I have although it does say EZ-Utils 6.1.

Between the settings in the link software, com port settings, cable connections, system environment, proper file name format and text syntax to be transfered/up loaded, there is little to no room for error. Sending a functional hand entered program from the control to the PC at least takes the syntax issues out of the picture. The only thing I can vouch for in what I have had to offer is the cable.

Maybe it would help if you list out your settings and procedures for the rest of the above contributors in the process. Someone might help catch something you had not seen as an issue yet?

DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Prototrak software download? purchase? ebay?

Hi!

Where does one get the Ez-Trak software to feed the machine controller?

Anyone have luck using something like MasterCam Postprocessors to generate the machine code?

I have an old old Bridgeport that has a Prototrack Plus unit installed, I managed to get some movement out of the servos, but using that LED + Keypad interface is a drag...

Downloads
    Uploads

Right in my manual there are two female DB 25 connectors.

For simplicity LSH=- Left Hand Side, RHS= Right Hand Side.

LHS
    Pin 2 to RHS Pin 3.
    Pin 3 to RHS Pin 2.
    Pin 4 to LHS Pin 5.
    Pin 6 to LHS Pin 8 and LHS Pin 20.
    Pin 8 to Lhs Pin 20 (and LHS Pin 6- already done above).

RHS- all the above connections and as below.
    Pin 4 to RHS pin 4.
    Pin 6 to RHS Pin 8 and RHS Pin 20.
    Pin 8 to RHS Pin 20 (and RHS Pin 6- already done above).

Hope this helps!

PS it says "Note a 9 wire cable may not work reliably.

Also, you need to make a directory on your PC, go into it and type
    COPY COM1:"FILENAME" (Enter).
    On the TRAK A.G.E 2 (or 3) write a small program or get one from disk. Make sure it has a part number.
    Press MODE key, then PROG IN/OUT mode
    Select RS232 option
    Select STORE. The TRAK will send the prog to your PC

I got the troubleshooting manual if this dun work.. let me know.

I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you certain your manual applies to the EZ Trak Plus?

I am not sure why my images do not show up in my post. Using the insert image icon requests the HTTP address, but it shows up in the post as a link instead of the image being linked to?

DC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast