Raiding photocopiers for steppers

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Raiding photocopiers for steppers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Raiding photocopiers for steppers

Got four copiers Toshiba copiers destined for the dumpster and here is a pic of the motors liberated from these rather large copiers. There are a lot more parts to be removed, will post pics when done.

Jason

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-motors2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do the same and there are some amazing parts to be found.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome!

I'm going to go raid Kinko's. Somebody stall the police.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

2muchstuff,
    If you have any pics post them and if possible the brand of copier, I like to see what's out there.

Zumba,
    I suspect if you check in your area for copier repair centers they will have a pile out back ready for dumping and they will have no problem with you stripping them once you do not leave a mess, this will keep the police of your back as well as Kinko's security . Remember to search throughly as I almost missed 2 steppers on each copier that were hiding behind a circuit board.

Each copier seems to have one really large transformer and a smaller one along with an interesting looking lead screw. DC brushless 24v fans are to be found as well. The skate bearings (608) do not seem to be as numerous on these newer copiers. I will brave the sun for a few hours today to liberate some more parts but at 600 lbs a piece they do not like being moved around too much.

Pics to follow.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jason can you please do us all a favour and post just a few photos of the kind of copiers that might contain those rather large (1.5A+?) steppers so we know what to look for? Does it have to be one of them '80s tank-size copiers or your ordinary everyday A4/A3 desk-size copier?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

These copiers are about 3 feet tall and weigh 600 lbs. The Toshiba series numbers are: 7550, 6560, 6560, 5540.

The only desktop machine I know to carry a reasonably strong motor is the HP laserjet 3 which carries a 100 oz/inch motor.

A few pics of other items recovered including heat sinks, transformers, leadscrew, bearings, dc brushless fans, solid state relays and drive belts. These were recovered from one copier.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-copiers-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-transformers-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-misc1-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-misc2-jpg  

Last edited by Jason Marsha; 04-08-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It seems that I was a little luckier than I originally thought as I discovered that at least some of the Minebea motors have a 1/4" (6.35mm) shaft instead of a 6.00mm shaft which allows me to use the lovejoy couplers I already have . Finding a vendor that sells the Lovejoy L-050 series coupler with a 6.00 mm hole is a pain.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I frequent several copier repair places. The ones that get trashed are no one particular brand, they are the traded in ones from new purchases. The machines range from the small desktop to commercial laser magnetic ink type. Talk to someone in back like a warehouse person, people up front are useless so are sales people. Get there permission and get it wrote on their buisness card. That way when diving after hours in the dark and the cops show up you are covered. You may be wondering how I know this, experience. Get to talking to the guys and you may find out when they are getting ready to bring in a 40 yarder, parts galore. Most places don't care about you diving as long as you don't make a mess, it saves them space in thier dumpster as you take the parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went to the Toshiba boss who was happy to get them from the back of his office. I usually take all they have to dump and end up with a load of parts . Occasionally you will end up with a machine using 5 phase motors as the main motor but this has not been the case on my last two trips. Hopefully someone comes up with a cheap hobby 5 phase controller so that the ones I have had here for a while will be of more use than a paperweight.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Jason,

I noticed you haven't popped the hood off of the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) in the picture you posted. There is usually a good sized stepper motor under there that drives the feed belt.

Happy hunting,

HayTay

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Harry,

That's normally the case Harry but Toshiba uses a small servo type setup to run that section. I will take that pic and post it later today.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never pass up a document feeder. Most times there is a nice sized PM DC motor and belts in them that I use for my RC boats.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well guys here are those pics as promised. There are now 2 large DC motors in the ADF, earlier models carried a large and small combination. There are also DC fans in these newer ADF's.
    Lots of belts too as stated by 2muchstuff.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-docfeed1-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-docfeed2-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-docfeed3-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-docfeed4-jpg  

Last edited by Jason Marsha; 04-11-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a size comparison of the DC motor and a stepper.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-2-motors-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did a bit more stripping today and came up with more bearings than expected.
    All the pics shown are parts from one copier minus ADF (auto document feeder) parts.
    The magnetic clutches each carried a bearing behind them which I almost missed.
    As usual two solid state relays and heat sinks on the circuit boards as well as dc fans.
    The strange looking motors with lots of wires each carry two skate bearings inside.

I have two more copiers to strip and should get to them over this long weekend.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-newcopier1-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-newcopier2-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-newcopier3-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-newcopier4-jpg  

Raiding photocopiers for steppers-newcopier5-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-newcopier6-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congradulations on your finds, copier parts can be addictive. The more you find the more you want. Not copier related but a couple of days ago I found a label applying machine by Label-Aire. From the outside there was some small air cylinders and some linear bearings. Once inside there was a Slo-Syn 850oz. bipolar motor and a nice Centent driver module. I wouldn't mind finding a few more of the same.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am with you on that, I would love to find linear bearings and a motor with that much torque on any sort of machine.
    I am hoping to find at least two 300oz/inch motors in a set of dumpster copiers, no such luck yet but I will plod on.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After not following my mind to call the Toshiba office last week, I finally got the chance and called tuesday only to hear the sympathetic voice of the boss that I had missed 3 copiers the day before and at the time he could not find my number :frown: . What rotten luck.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you can check their dumpster every day or figure out when the trash man comes to empty it and get there the day before. My recent scrounging has turned up a couple up of 8" v-groove rings with bearings, 3- Compumotor OEM 750 stepper drives, 3- label printers (haven't taken apart yet to see what's inside), and a bunch of wierd medical lab equipment.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, just caught this thread. I have been wondering what could be salvaged from photocopiers. Sounds promising. How do you know what rating the steppers are?
    I need some 200 0z to 300 oz steppers. Just don't know what to look for.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast