a couple cnc questions - Page 11

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: a couple cnc questions

Downloads
    Uploads

These are HOME switches, NOT for limit switches. You only need 3 NO switches for home switches, but the whole set costs what ONE switch would cost at Radio Shack. You only need ONE set, and you will end up with 3 extra switches.

Limit switches need to be Normally Closed. You wire them all in series, so that if ONE switch opens, it shuts down the drive circuit. Sorry, I haven't found a good deal on THEM yet--so about $4 each at RS.

I don't use limit switches on mine, but use soft limits in Mach 3. If a Stepper DID crash, it would only stall--Not self destruct like a servo would. Hence the need for limit switches is not so strong for steppers.

How much wire? Depends on how far away your control box is from your motors. It probably won't be more than 10 feet, so get 4 pieces to be sure. You could also get 2 lengths to use as Home switch wire. This shielded, twisted pair wire is especially good for home/limit switch wiring because it will block stray electrical signals. What you will get, is one solid piece of wire that is as long as how many lengths you ordered. 6 lengths = one 60 ft long piece.

Connectors: You will need one connector at each driver end of your motor cables, and one connector at 4th axis motor for disconnect/removal, so order at least 5. You COULD also have a connector at each axis motor, but that adds a lot more chance of accidental disconnect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-STEPPER-MOTO...713.m153.l1262

CR.

Last edited by Crevice Reamer; 12-09-2008 at 06:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh! Forgot: The wire is brand new.

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Teyber12,

Try here for your switches too.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...1030&PMCTLG=00

Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

The 422-2676 @ $2.34 each looks good for limit switch use. It can be wired either NO or NC.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Reed!

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY Reed!

CR.
    Thanks dude! :rainfro::rainfro:

Downloads
    Uploads

The motor he says he DOES have is the double shaft version of the motor I have for sale. See what he does? Notice that he didn't tell you which way to wire it. You want to run the motor Bipolar Parallel for best performance.

That motor will fry at 65 or 72V wired Bipolar parallel. After you fry it, he could tell you it's your fault because you should have wired it for Bipolar SERIES which is much slower. In Series, yes it would handle up to 95V.

Okay! Get the 387s. If he has the KL34280-60-4A, then get that and the 6515 PSU. Otherwise get the KL5413 or the KL5020 PSU and either his 280-45-8B double shaft, (you might have to cut the extra shaft off) or the single shaft 45-8A version that I have for sale.

Wire them up Bipolar Parallel and your axes will fly. Any of the above power supplies will run up to 3 387s and one 640.

CR.
    I think im going to go ahead and buy that stepper from you and the KL5413 psu (does this supply a 5v and(do i need?) the 12v for the bob?).

Ill try to order the limit/home switches. id rather be safe then sorry i guess.

Also im debating getting the deluxe kit, as it would be like $400 more then i could split that with my dad, $200 out of my pocket for the deluxe. Do you guys think its worth it?

Downloads
    Uploads

There are TWO areas of CNC where it is really worth spending the money. ONE is the drivers and the other is the ballscrews. What you get for the extra money are very much upgraded ballscrews and preloaded ball nuts. Add a couple of helical couplings and you will probably have ZERO backlash.

You can buy the motor anytime you want it. Just PM me your email addy.

The 5413 is a very good choice. NO, the only Keling PSUs that have 5 and 12 v are the 65V ones--But if you are going with the CandCNC BOB, they have a logic power supply for about $20 more.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Whoops! I was wrong. The KL5020 has a 5V on it--For $40 more than the 5413. But you'd be better off to save $20 and buy the one that Tom Caudle provides.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Geez! Wrong again. Apparently there is an OPTION for the 5413 to have a 5V output:

The power supply has a flexible add on option that allows more outputs as needed. Those isolated outputs
    can be used as logic control or encoder power supply. The main output has 2 large capacitors (10000uF
    x2) to guaranty the output ripple to minimum.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Geez! Wrong again. Apparently there is an OPTION for the 5413 to have a 5V output:

The power supply has a flexible add on option that allows more outputs as needed. Those isolated outputs
    can be used as logic control or encoder power supply. The main output has 2 large capacitors (10000uF
    x2) to guaranty the output ripple to minimum.

CR.
    K so the 5413 sounds the best, should i ask keling about the 5v option add-on? I think this paired with your z axis is going to be the way im going. Keling said that the "optimum(as you described)" z motor isn't manufactured as they don't have a lot of requests for it, so looks like its not going to happen.

Cheers!:rainfro:

edit:

so the "option" is a add on, or something i purchase?

Last edited by Teyber12; 12-22-2008 at 02:35 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

look what showed up this morning!!!

1) whats with the tube?
    2) looks like he tapped both the x and the y for me
    3) looks like he dropped part of the z... Hey just cosmetic

So glad it came on time for x-mas!

Last edited by Teyber12; 12-25-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

1) It's the shipping arbor - if you ever need to remove the nut from the screw reverse the instructions on the tag.

Congrats! Merry Christmas!

Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cadmonkey View Post
    1) It's the shipping arbor - if you ever need to remove the nut from the screw reverse the instructions on the tag.

Congrats! Merry Christmas!
    ah gotcha! most appreciated. Should have thought of that, the instructions through me off lol.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Downloads
    Uploads

damn... just got this response from keling

We do not have KL-5413 in stock
    But we have KL-5020 and KL5010 in stock

the 5010 is $130 and the 5020 is $170 but has a 5v output. I am awaiting a response from candcnc about their 5v option. I have a 12vpsu here i could use. do you think the 4v difference between the 5413 and the 5020/5010 will be significant?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    do you think the 4v difference between the 5413 and the 5020/5010 will be significant?
    NO. While more is somewhat better, the 5010 should be more than adequate. The CandCNC 12V/5V PS costs $20. The UBOB has to have other cards to function. It CANNOT be used just by itself.

In the builders PAK1 kit, you get the UBOB, the Dual power module, the MTA100 (Mass Termination Adapter) and a dual relay and IO card for $135. The IO card is where the limit and home switches connect.

If you call Tom Caudle at 903.364.2740, I'm sure he would be happy to explain this to you.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like Michael did a nice job tapping your Y axis. You will need a 3/4 inch long 1/4 - 20 screw, a 1/4 lock washer, and a 1/4" fender washer large enough to prevent the ball screw from pulling out of the ball nut.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

When you make up your cables to the motors, you will want to stagger the joints to keep the cable neat. Here's how I did mine:

1. Cut motor wires at staggered intervals.
    2. Cut cable to match.
    3. Slide large diameter heat shrink tubing over cable.
    4. Slide small diameter HST over each wire.
    5. Make low profile splices.
    6. Solder splices.
    7. Slide HST over splices and heat shrink.
    8. Slide large HST over all splices and heat shrink.
    9. Install cable and then solder connector to drive end.
    10. Install split cable protectors.

CR.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a couple cnc questions-100_2967-jpg   a couple cnc questions-100_2968-jpg   a couple cnc questions-100_3193-jpg  
    Last edited by Crevice Reamer; 12-31-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Teyber
    3) looks like he dropped part of the z... Hey just cosmetic
    My X3 kit had damage to the Z axis mount also. Were the steel pulleys packaged with your Z axis mount?

I think the hard steel pulleys dented my Z axis. The shapes matched up to the pulleys. I was able to dress the dents out. ( Micheal offered to replace them with out me asking. I was ok with dressing them out. I had emailed him to mention it so future shipments could be packaged differently.)

Cheers, Kalvin

Downloads
    Uploads

NO. While more is somewhat better, the 5010 should be more than adequate. The CandCNC 12V/5V PS costs $20. The UBOB has to have other cards to function. It CANNOT be used just by itself.

In the builders PAK1 kit, you get the UBOB, the Dual power module, the MTA100 (Mass Termination Adapter) and a dual relay and IO card for $135. The IO card is where the limit and home switches connect.

If you call Tom Caudle at 903.364.2740, I'm sure he would be happy to explain this to you.

CR.
    looks like i need to call him! lol the more you learn, the more you learn what you need to learn lol.

Im currently on vacation and roaming + long distance = lots of cash so ill wait till i get home to call him.

Your sleeving idea is very neat... i definately would not have thought of that until it was too late and i can't fit the wire in the tubing/sleeving(problably not sleeving)...

he tapped the x and the y axis for me, nice next time i order some plastic from www.mcmaster.com ill throw some of those screws in the order. Shoudl i adopt this on the x axis also?

kalvin- i opened it so fast i was so excited i don't know... however i wouldn't be surprised. he wouldn't sell kits like that i know.

happy new years!

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast