Need Help! solidcam part solving help

Thread: solidcam part solving help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default solidcam part solving help

hi. im new with solidcam and just got some part to do which is not so easy as i thought it will be whan i take the job.

i have to do this "slot" on the part.
    anyone can help how to do it. should i do it like pocket or profile? and how to mill different bottom z level. i allready make hole. but this slot is killing me. and im out of time...

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solidcam part solving help-designmodel-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would do it either with two separate pocket jobs using a endmill with a corner radius to match the fillet rad in the pocket, then some 3D milling to take out the transition OR 3D the lot out using the shape of the pocket as a WORK AREA boundary (you can rough and finish with the same tool). The first way would be the quickest to machine, the second way would be the quickest to program.

Downloads
    Uploads

i did the rough 3d mill with end mill tool. the finishing is killing me. tool is going outside of pocket. tried to manage finishing with tool 10,r1.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

nero81,

Can you post the part here as a STEP or Parisolid file (X_T?) I'll show you how I would program that slot.

Downloads
    Uploads

here it is. but would like to explain it to me step by step how u did it.

Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

First I don't have solidcam, I used mastercam but the method should be the same. Okay I created a curve boundry around the top of the slot to keep the tool contained in the slot area only. Then I used a surface, rough, spiral pocket and roughed it out with a half inch ball end mill. Next I used a finish scallop tool path and finished it with a 1/4" ball end mill.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solidcam part solving help-cnczone-step-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    First I don't have solidcam, I used mastercam but the method should be the same. Okay I created a curve boundry around the top of the slot to keep the tool contained in the slot area only. Then I used a surface, rough, spiral pocket and roughed it out with a half inch ball end mill. Next I used a finish scallop tool path and finished it with a 1/4" ball end mill.

hehe sounds easy

but its not. i always get error that tool holder is crashing in stock. i tried to take out middle of part and than whole slot. but ists crashing always... stupid solidcam

Last edited by nero81; 06-26-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nero81 View Post
    hehe sounds easy

but its not. i always get error that tool holder is crashing in stock. i tried to take out middle of part and than whole slot. but ists crashing always... stupid solidcam
    Hello,
    I use solidcam for milling. And this part isnt such a problem.

I would make a hole first with 2D driling, then 2D milling (profile, helical).
    Then 3D conture milling with 10 mm and rest milling with smaller mill.
    On the oblique i would draw a surface so that the form would be closed.
    Then with ball mill and z-milling with helical drafting in -z direction.
    On what machine do you work?

Are you from Croatia? Im from Slovenia.

Downloads
    Uploads

on haidenhain itnc530 controller. and today i tried to do something super easy and tried to make g-code for din-iso and my machine couldnt start it couse of some error line... ill go crazy with that...

and yes from croatia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nero81 View Post
    here it is. but would like to explain it to me step by step how u did it.
    I haven't opened your file yet, but you should be able to set a constraint that is the outline of the slot area to keep the tool in there. I'll take a closer look.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I did this part in SolidCAM R12, it took about 30 to 40 minutes to "program". That is what I like about SC, it's pretty fast to get a part programmed. I haven't optimized this at all, the run time is about one hour as it is now. I think the time could be trimmed and/or the surface finish in the "V" improved.

As I suggested, I created a sketch of the outline of the "V" and then used this as the constraint. I find it easier (and more reliable) to create a sketch and then use the sketch lines to set up the constraint than to use SolidCAM and select edges in most cases.

I've attached screen shots of the solid verify, the resulting SC file (even as a compressed .prz, zipped) is still about 70 MB so I put it on a file sharing server, you can download it from:
    http://www.diskd.com/getfile.php?typ...EgUExPQ0Euemlw

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solidcam part solving help-one-jpg   solidcam part solving help-two-jpg  

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great looking stuff Jim.