On to CNC #2 5'x4' Foot Print

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On to CNC #2 5'x4' Foot Print

Downloads
    Uploads

Default On to CNC #2 5'x4' Foot Print

I told my self after the 1st one that I would not build another pretty good size one But.... I sold my 1st one and been without one for a few months now. So.. Its on to number 2. I have some photos of the frame so far.
    Tell me what ya think.
    Steve

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0016_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0017_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0018_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0019_800x600-jpg  

On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0020_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0021_800x600-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks pretty good.
    What size is that steel tubing?
    I am looking at doing a similar base for my machine.
    But I am not sure how thick I need to go on the steel.

Downloads
    Uploads

2"x2" I believe is is 14 awg. The cross braces in the center of the frame is 2x2 angle. Some I had around the shop.
    Post some pics when you start yours.
    Thanks for the compliments
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Just got in my new Hobbycnc pro kit with 305 oz steppers. Everything looks to be there. This is my 5th kit so far. ( 3 for me and 2 for other members )
    You cant beat hobbycncs prices. Great kit and fast deliverys.
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Boy I hit the jackpot Saturday. I picked up 4 8 foot linear rails with 8 trucks and about 30 foot of energy chain for 150.00 at the local scrap yard. They have a big warehouse loaded with old surplus machines that were sold for scrap. I was looking around and came across the rails. It took me about 6 hours to remove from machine but it was well worth it. Also I installed one of the sets on the router I am building. Here are some pics so far.
    Where is a good place for belts and pulleys or should I go with rack and pinion?
    Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0004_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0005_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0006_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0012_800x600-jpg  

On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0013_800x600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the basic design of the Y axis done tonight. Been a slow go with working 7 days a week and all. I need to weld all the gussets in place and install the linear bearings. Maby sometime this weekend.
    Hope it all works like the last one. We will see.....
    Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0019_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0020_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0023_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0024_800x600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Your machine looks great.

That's the same size (5'x4') I want to build, all metal no wood.

I'm wanting a 4'x4' working area, with a 1'x4' area for a tool changer.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your frame looks very attractive all painted blue.

I am a rank amateur when it comes to cnc, but given that you are using expensive linear rails, are you not concerned about the rail support deflecting under the wight of the gantry?? I am creating a similar frame out of uni-strut, but am going to place horizontal members to prevent the rail suppourt from deflecting. Acording to beamboy, with a 60 pound gantry, the deflection can be significant.

Downloads
    Uploads

There will be supports. 3 on each side. I squared up the rails then got the measurements so I can cut to fit.
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

looks great! this is the style i want to us for my next router.

staying tuned

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Subscribed.

First post, total n00b. Thank you for posting such detailed pictures. This design seems to be straight forward and simple - so far. Right down my alley

I noticed you have your rails on top, while many other designs seem to have them mounted on the sides. Is there a reason for this? Seems to me this would be a better idea...

Best regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

The reason That I mounted to the top is that it seemed that the bearings liked the weight on top. When I press down they glide like butter. I believe they are pre loaded. Also the specs have them to be top mounted.
    Thanks for looking. I am gonna add more pics as I continue to build.
    Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent, thanks Steve. I'm very interested in your design. I'll hold on to my beginners questions for a later date, but what you've done thus far is what I would want to do.

Keep us updated!

Best regards,
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome (re: supports) - good to hear that you will not be degrading the performance of those linear rails! The reason I was confused is that it seems that you already painted the frame; I was (am) unclear about how you will weld the supports in place.

That being said - TEACH ME!! : I am getting ready to weld together a frame myself, and yours is a dandy. How did you get everything lined up squarely? How do you plan on making the "precision" cuts to your rail supports? I have a granite slab that I can weld on (fairly flat), an abrasive cutoff saw, and a few angle clamps - everything I own was bought at harbor freight (read: cheap and inaccurate). I'm planning on using uni-strut; it was the cheapest, rigid, frame material I could find. Any elucidation appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads

The way I got everything square during the welding process of the frame was:
    1: Find you a good FLAT surface.
    2: Get a scrap sheet of steel. I used the surface of the steel workbench which is 4x8.
    3: Lay the legs and table support ( one side at a time ) and get your measurements. After you have everything set in place, Get some small scrap steel chuncks or steel rods and spot weld to the surface of the workbench in all critical corners of your frame. Its just a plain jig. This keeps the frame of the machine square when welding. Only weld small beads at first. Go corner to corner then middle. Check to make sure it is still the way you want it. Then make your finnish weld. After welded pick it up out of your jig and lay the next side in place. Do the same steps as the 1st and wala Identical sides. If you look at my frame, The side legs and top where the rails mount and the lower mount for the table surface is the 1st side. Weld it up then go to the next side the same way. Adding the front supports that connect the 2 sides together is easy. Make your measurements use a good set of clamps and just make a spot weld until you are satified with the squareness.
    After I finnished with the middle supports I took a measurement from front right corner of the frame to the lower left and vice a versa. Same way I do when I build my rc planes when I align the wings. I am only a amature my self. The last cnc I built was pretty good. You can see it in my members photo section.
    Guys have a good weekend. It might be sunday before I can mount the y axis to the bearings. I have to go back to the slave pit this saturday.
    Later Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Man, With all the Models, The Router build and a full time job, Ijust can not find any extra time. :rainfro: Just to show you guys my other hobby. Remember the size of the table. This is one big plane. I did manage to find some time to add the table top. I still might go with 8020 extrusion for the table surface. The mdf will work for now. I took a picture of my shop "Supervisor". He is the one who is keeping me going on both hobbies. More photos of the cnc build to come.....
    Later Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0010_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0026_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0027_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0028_800x600-jpg  

On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0029_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0030_800x600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well Got some of the Gantry built this weekend. The Long plate on the side of the gantry is where there will be an angle bracket to hold the belt clamp. This lowers the belt to the side of the machine then I wont have that long drive shaft from left side to right side at the top of the table.
    Let me know what you think.
    Later Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0031_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0032_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0033_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0034_800x600-jpg  

On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0037_800x600-jpg   On to CNC #2   5'x4' Foot Print-pict0036_800x600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

looking real good so far.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm curious Steve; How do you plan on driving the X axis?

Thanks,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

He can probably have a rack mounted on the bottom of the top rail and have a motor out the side bolted to the side aluminum plate he has now.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast